RV 2022.3.1 Release is available!

Release date: September 14, 2022

Download available here.

IMPORTANT: RV 2022 is the last version of RV to support Python 2, aligning with other Autodesk M&E products like Maya, 3ds Max, and Flame. Starting with version 2023, RV will support Python 3 exclusively.

Bug fixes

RV UI:

• Fixed RV Annotations tool keyboard shortcuts on Windows. [SG-27433]
    Next Annotated Frame: [ALT]+[SHIFT]+[RIGHT ARROW]
    Prev Annotated Frame: [ALT]+[SHIFT]+[LEFT ARROW]
    Delete previous word in text annotation: [ALT]+[BACKSPACE]
    Kill line in text annotation: [ALT]+[A]
    End Text Edit in text annotation: [ALT]+[ENTER]
  • Fixed RV doesn’t display stereo on the first frame when using EXR partial bounding box. [SG-23906]
  • Fixed a crash occurring when some incomplete OpenEXR files were loaded into RV’s Player. [SG-27563]
  • Fixed after-progressive-loading event missing after addSourceVerbose() command. [SG-23594]
  • Fixed meta key binding change introduced with Qt 5.15.3 update. [SG-27208]
  • Fixed unable to install packages under RV Preferences on some Linux. [SG-27579]
  • Multiple Media Representation feature is now working as expected when using RV with Python 2 or Python 3. [SG-28116]

Media/Codec:

• Fixed addSourcesVerbose sends the after-progressive-loading event before media is actually loaded. [SG-23063]

Player:

• Fixed performance regression when loading LUTs on EXR look node. [SG-28222]
  • Fixed random crashes using Multiple Media Representation, OCIO, and LiveReview all together in specific scenarios. [SG-27470]
  • Fixed missing source-group-complete;;new event when clicking on swap media menu. [SG-28013]

[SG-28013]

Video Out:

• Fixed issue when DVI is used as Output Broadcast. [SG-28165]

Scripting/API:

• Error writing settings to RV.ini file on Windows in specific scenario. [SG-28123]

Any chance we could get more info on Fixed issue when DVI is used as Output Broadcast and Error writing settings to RV.ini file on Windows in specific scenario. [SG-28123]?
Thanks for the release, looks like a lot of work!

1 Like

Hello Kessler !

Here are some additional details about the fixes:
DVI is used as Output Broadcast Fix:
This issue was introduced in RV 2022.0 when Qt was updated from Qt 5.12.5 to Qt 5.15.3, the external monitor on Windows was broken in the sense that when activating the presentation mode on an external monitor, it was being displayed on the main monitor.
This is a Windows specific issue. Not repro on Linux or Mac.

About the RV.ini issue:
Note that RV prefs are persisted using the QSettings Qt class.
We discovered that the QSettings’ error status is NEVER cleared.
There is an open Qt issue bout adding a way to clear the error status: [QTBUG-23857] QSettings can provide a public method to clear the error on demand - Qt Bug Tracker
So what happens is whenever the first error occurs with the QSettings Qt class, then this same error gets reported numerous times by RV.

With the aim of preventing RV from spamming the console with errors when a single access error is detected (due to the current limitation of the QSettings Qt class), we now only report the first error since this is the only one that we can rely on as it will stay in error until the end of life of the QSettings instance.

I hope this helps and I wish you a good day !

Bernie

3 Likes

I’ve just started updating from 2022.0.0 to 3.1. so I skipped the Multiple Media Representation Feature launch last release.

Multiple Media Representation feature is now working as expected when using RV with Python 2 or Python 3. [SG-28116]

I would expect the feature to still be working, when I want to watch an already loaded source, but it doesn’t. When returning to a cached sourceGroup the different sources for Frames, Movie and Streaming are not available in the sources Menu and the bottom menu states Streaming, but the Frames are loaded. If I then want to use the ShotGrid Menu like before, I get this ErrorMessage:

ERROR: Could not Swap Media: exception: “in commands.setActiveSourceMediaRep: Can’t find switch node associated with source node sourceGroup000000_source to select the ‘Streaming’ media representation.”

I have a clean working area, to make sure none of my adaptations are causing this error. So do you think this needs a new Error Report or is there a QuickFix I am missing?

Cheers, Henna

1 Like

Hi Henna,

This is definitely not expected, please contact support to get the issue investigated.

Thank you,

Francisca

Could we have a bit more information on that one please ?
Is it a way to call the Annotation tool with a shortcut or could it be the magical shortcut we need as well to be able to affect the size of the brush up and down with shortcuts ? (please, please, please).

Thank you for the hard work though, Keep it up.

1 Like

Hello Pascal,

The keyboard shortcut fixed are the ones that were using the Meta key on Windows:

• Next Annotated Frame: [ALT]+[SHIFT]+[RIGHT ARROW]
  • Prev Annotated Frame: [ALT]+[SHIFT]+[LEFT ARROW]
  • Delete previous word in text annotation: [ALT]+[BACKSPACE]
  • Kill line in text annotation: [ALT]+[A]
  • End Text Edit in text annotation: [ALT]+[ENTER]

I updated the release notes with the information.

Thanks (and sorry it’s not the one you are looking for)

Francisca

1 Like

Thank you for confirming Francisca.
Much appreciated.

1 Like

Any trick to making the latest RV work in RockyLinux8? I’m getting:

/home/alan/Downlods/rv-centos7-x86-64-2022.3.1/bin/rv.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgcrypt.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Hi alan_fps,

Unfortunately, RV 2022.3.1 doesn’t support Rocky Linux.

Alain

Hi @alan_fps

You can try to remove libssl and libcrypto from the lib folder and it might get you to start RV. It will make the app use your system libraries instead.

But like @compaga told you, it’s not a supported OS for that version of RV. So if something happens, you might not be able to get support.

Thanks!