Increase in hidden RV.exe tasks/processes in Windows 10 Task manager

Hi,
In our studio, we have been using RV 7.6 for a while, but over the past few weeks we have seen an increase in multiple RV.exe tasks or processes getting stuck in the Task Manager. There are no RV tasks/icons in the taskbar, but there may be 2 or more RV.exe entries(I’ve seen 12+ before) either in the task manager processes, or when checking the details tab. They can cause slow down and will sometimes lock files so they cannot be deleted. We are currently locked to 7.6 since we are in the middle of production, so we haven’t tested the latest versions of RV.
I was curious if anyone else has seen this behavior, and if there are any tips on preventing this. It is becoming harder to manage at occurs more often.
We are on Windows 10 and it occurs in both v1909 and v2004 updates so far.

Hey @TSalvaggio,

Thank you for using the forums!

Is there any way that you can inspect these processes from the task manager to see what they’re trying to execute?

We have added a signing process for RV on Windows, to authorize RV. I’m curious if maybe RV is trying to ping a server to confirm the authorization?

Thanks,
Alexa

Thanks for the info! Next time I come across the problem I’ll try to get more details, that is a good lead. I’ve put a few people on watch to let me know if they see it happening but due to tight deadlines, more often than not I think they are just killing the processes and moving on.
We also launch RV after doing playblasts, usually, people see this when they watch a Maya playblast then close RV, but for some reason, it is sticking around in the background. On Monday, I’ll see if I can get more information and report back.

1 Like

Shoot, sorry for not answering earlier, I’m quite behind on forums :frowning:

Sounds great, please keep us posted!

– Alexa

1 Like

Sounds good. I was going to put in a ticket, but it is JUST sporadic and hard reproduce, that I wanted to see if I could get some extra info first. I appreciate it.

1 Like

I had someone let me know when this happened again. They killed the RV.exe processes in the regular task manager area before I could get to them. However, there were still processes in the “Detail” tab. When I made a dump of one of them, the dmp file was 1.9+ GB.
Sadly I couldn’t get more debug details than what is in this screenshot.
I also tried to make a Taskkill batch file for a temporary fix, but it didn’t seem to want to kill the ones in the details tab.

@alexaz I think we are going to have to test and upgrade our version of RV. The error seems to be happening in the mio ffmpeg area. It looks like that might have been fixed in a version past 7.6 (looks like 7.7.1) We’re testing updated versions now.
Just in case anyone else is having this problem, killing the process in the default pane of task manager won’t get rid of the rogue processes. They must be killed in the Details tab as well. The Taskkill command didn’t seem to kill those either in my initial tests.

STACK_COMMAND: ~0s; .ecxr ; kb
SYMBOL_NAME: mio_ffmpeg!create+87858
MODULE_NAME: mio_ffmpeg
IMAGE_NAME: mio_ffmpeg.dll
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: BREAKPOINT_80000003_mio_ffmpeg.dll!create

We have also been seeing this. They appear to be processes associated with media that had been open at one time, even if no longer. rv 7.6.1

Weird thing is the processes appear to be running “normally” to the operating system.

We have also been seeing this issue quite consistently. Can’t seem to narrow the exact process that causes it.

Is the only solution to upgrade at the moment?

Thanks,