Task versions

Hi!

How come when I create a “version” in the version tab in a Task, it will show up in the tab, but not link to the Task attributes?

V1 created here:

But it doesn’t show up here linked as a version:

Nor here in the spreadsheet:

And if i try to create one here:

It won’t automatically fill in the task name.

Thanks,
Bonnei

2 Likes

Hi Bonnei,

I think we need url of the version. Could you send us a support ticket and past this community link? It can keep your data secure.

Thanks

Loney

1 Like

Hi Lonny,

Sure, how do I submit a support ticket?

• Bonnie
1 Like

Hi @bonosmo,

I’m taking a look at what you’re experiencing here and have some initial thoughts and questions. Let’s see how far we can get in this post before moving over to a DM (or a support ticket).

When you create a Version, you mention you’re doing so from the version tab on a Task. So it sounds like you’re creating a version from a Version Detail Page, is that correct?

First, can you check to make sure that on your Version tab, you have the following filters set up, so that your versions will automatically be linked to the current version upon creation? From what I can see here, it does look like the Version getting linked up to the correct Task, but it’s always good to double check this as a first step.

This will make it so that new Versions created automatically get linked to the current Task.

Next, let’s look at your “Versions” field on Task—the one shown on your Tasks page. That looks like a custom field on your site, is that right? Can you right-click on that “Versions” field, select configure, and send through a screenshot of that fields configuration?

Standard functionality is that Versions can be linked to one Task through the “Task” field on Versions. They can also be linked to one entity (Shot, Asset, etc) through the “Link” field on Versions. If you’re adding a custom Version entity or multi-entity type field of the Version type to Tasks, this field will not be connected to the original standard connections of linking Versions to Tasks. Since many Versions can be linked to one Task, Shotgun wont know which Version to reference on a Task page since there are many. That said, if you’re looking to reference Versions linked to a Task from a Task page, a query type field may be a better option:

Let me know if this seems to be in line with what you’re experiencing, or if there are other parts we can dig into :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Shayna

2 Likes

Hi Shayna,

Ah right, it’s a custom field, not like the “Versions” field that are attached to “Tasks”.

With a query, it only gives a summary:
I was hoping under the Versions query, instead of “3”, it’d actually list the entity names so we can directly click on it.

Thanks,
Bonnie

3 Likes

Hi @bonosmo,

Yup, it’s not supported to return all the entities in a list in a query field, though it’s a reasonable request in cases like yours.

I would highly recommend you to follow the post below and submit it as feature request to our Product team.

3 Likes

Got it. Thanks everyone!

3 Likes

Hi @bonosmo,

There is another thought about your requirement. You could use multi-entity field to replace query field.

It will list versions name and you could click each one. For example, I create a field Asset Version in Asset entity. There is another field Assets <-> Asset_Version in Version entity.

In this field, you could select version of an asset.

When use this field, version won’t automatically linked with the asset. You have manually select version.

Hope it is helpful.

Loney

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I had originally, a field that was a “multi-entity” but having to manually add versions wasn’t sustainable. People kept forgetting =)

Thanks,
Bonnie

2 Likes

You could also use eventdaemon. When a version is created, eventdaemon can help to link to the asset at background.

Loney

2 Likes

I’m curious why the version-level, single-entity “task” field doesn’t create a task>versions reverse field that lists all versions connected to the task. Is there a reason this field isn’t generated automatically?

@shaynad I wanted to see if I could follow up on this thread - it seems like we get a reverse field when you Link a version to an asset or shot (“Version<->Link”) but you don’t get a similar field on Tasks (“Version<->Task”). Is there a reason for this? It would be very handy to query versions from a given task.