Sum of Bid per Pipeline Step

Hello Shotgun Community!

I have a little brain blocker here! Maybe someone wants to help out. Please feel free to send me in a total other direction!

I am trying to create new fields, which will allow to show this:

The Sum of my BID Columns Per Pipeline Step.

So…

At first I was able to create a query field, that summed all of the BID Time of a given projet. But… I would like the same but per pipelinestep. Now Since a PipelineStep is not an entity … Then I need to create I am guessing, a “new entity” and new fields.

This is where is gets tricky!

If I create an “entity” called PIPELINE. Then Add this Pipeline as a Field to my Pipeline Steps Page. After, All of My tasks will be linked to the PIPELINE that exists on the Pipeline Step.

Screehshots to explain…

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 12.14.15 AM

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 12.13.11 AM

Maybe I did this wrong, but at this point I am stuck and not sure how to go about creating what I am looking for, …

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 12.15.56 AM

I know I am probably overdoing it… Just trying things out.

Thanks a bunch!

Meggie

3 Likes

Hi Meggie,

Thanks for your question! Pipeline Steps actually are full-fledged entities, so you should be able to leverage those without creating custom Pipeline entities.

Here’s how I’d go about tackling this sort of problem. From a Task page, I’ve set up some advanced grouping:

This organizes all my Tasks first by their entity type (Asset, Shot, etc), then by what Pipeline Step they belong to. Next, I turn on page summaries with a SUM calculation on my Bid field:

This will now show the bid totals per group, and for all the Tasks. Finally, I collapse all my groups, but then twiddle open each entity level of the grouping to get a look like this:

For each group I can see the total Bid for that Pipeline Step. You could do something similar with a canvas page and graph widgets to show totals. You can read more about that here:

Let me know if that helps to build the sort of report you’re after, or if there’s anything else we can do to help!

1 Like

Hello Brandon,

Thank you for your reply.
While I appreciate the indications, The reason I am looking for a more profound method, is because our Projects are becoming much too heavy, with way too many tasks to show ALL Results and see all of the task and collapse in Pipeline groups. The page just becomes endlessly slow.
I am trying to create this new view with new fields, in order to avoid the producers wanting to go back to excel reports. While I am waiting for a Programer to become available for my demands, I was inclined on trying creating fields for this purpose.

But yes, the view you show with the results grouped by pipeline is exactly what I want to create, but with summed FIELDS.

(But by pipeline step instead of project.)

Any Ideas ?

Thansk!
Meggie

2 Likes

Thanks for the additional context, Meggie! A query field on the Project entity that looks like this may do the trick, then. You’d need one for each Pipeline Step on which you want to report:

You can further tighten the scope of the filter by adding additional conditions (e.g. maybe you need to exclude Tasks which have the status Omit). How many steps do you need to report on?

1 Like

Hi Brandon,

Yes I had thought about this one. Although all my fields would be side by side.
And I would want each pipeline to appear one under the other (thus the Pipeline Custom Entity).
I would like each pipeline to appear one under the other as it would for multple projects.
And also, I would be looking at more then just the Bid, but the Time Logs and Time Left etc (these would appear side by side). This is why I would want to avoid my pipelines to appear next to each other or else all of the fields will just appear in one line.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Roger that. Ya, with the query field approach your Projects would be rows, and the calculated data the columns. I’ll check with the rest of my team and ask them to chime in here if they have some other ideas.

2 Likes

Hi Meggie,

Chatting over options with the team, it sounds like the workflows I described above are currently as far as you can go while still operating within Shotgun. It may be necessary to export your data to excel and use some pivot tables to get what you ultimately need.

3 Likes