Bids on the Asset or Shot Entities

Has anyone set up bids at the Asset or Shot level? I have a pre-existing bid based on a shot list and have had to break each shot down into Assets and Tasks.

Bids don’t seem to be an Entity type so I am unsure how best to create a Bid field on an Asset or Shot so it will pipe through to an actuals graph.

3 Likes

Hi Jessica,

This is a basic how default bid in Shotgun.

And calculated fields also help to create biding.

You could read the two articles first. And let us know if you have any questions.

Cheers

Loney

1 Like

HI there, I read both articles. The basic default bid article does cover bid numbers at the task level but that does not really help me here.

The second article was a bit confusing in the context of my question. I don’t think a calculated field will help me here as I do not have a breakdown of the bid per task, only per asset.

Apologies if I have missed the intent in your answer. I am still a bit confused.

Is possible to input bid data into the Asset entity or is that reserved only for the Task entity?

Hi @Jessica_Westbrook

Sorry to make you confused. Let me start over what I am thinking.

I think there are two scenarios.

Scenarios 1:
Asset and Shot Task biding: this is pretty straight forward. Just create custom fields for biding fields on Asset and Task entity.

Shot entity: create query field to summarize biding field of all asset used on this shot and all tasks used on this shot

Con:

• Query field can’t be calculated. So you can’t calculate total of Shot Task biding and Asset biding.
  • The original Bid field would be useless or use for other purpose.

Scenarios 2:
Asset Task and Shot Task biding: Create custom fields for biding fields on Task entity.

Shot entity: create query field to summarize biding field of all tasks of assets used on this shot and all tasks used on this shot.

This is possible the calculate total biding of a Shot based on query tasks (didn’t test, the query might be a little complicated). But the asset biding might be duplicated.

Con:

• The original Bid field would be useless or use for other purpose.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers

Loney

Has there been any updates on this? With bid totals at shot and asset level etities, is there no way to combine those two entities to get a combined total?

Hi Matt,

ShotGrid is very customizable so if you tell us what you want to achieve we can tell you how :slight_smile:

Everyone has slightly different workflows for these things.

Wonderful!

Quite simply, I’d like a field to show me episode cost totals, including both shot and asset totals within that episode. Currently, I have a custom currency field “Final Shot Cost” and “Final Asset Cost” added to each entity. On a custom page, I’m using query fields to calculate shot and asset totals by episode. I can’t figure out how to get a field that totals everything, together.

1 Like