RV on Mac M1 Max?

Hey All,

We’re getting new macbooks for our VFX supes, and wondering if RV runs well on M1, and the new M1 Max? I couldn’t find system requirements online. Anything we should know?

Thanks!

Laurence

I have not heard that it doesn’t work but don’t take that as a confirmation that everything works as expected.

@laurenceC Did you try the Apple silicon in the end?
If so, what was the outcome?

Am considering an M1/m2 laptop but only if it offers an overall performance on my i9.
I can just about playback 4.5k exr real-time off external nvme, with very small rv cache, but the cpu gets HOT quickly.

If it can achieve the same without the fans going mad I’d be happy :slight_smile:

Surely someone’s using M1/m2 by now?

Yup we got some supes on M1 macs using RV happily. Can’t speak to M2 yet, but feeling relatively confident.

Thanks.
Any performance feedback would be much appreciated. Just want to make sure theres an improvement despite emulation.
Have any of your team tried 4k / 4.5k EXR image sequence playback?

For reference I had access to an M2 Air, and it couldn’t play back even the smallest 4.5K EXR clip at 24fps. Now I admit this is an under specced machine, but I just figured such a recent chip would handle that from RAM at least, never mind decoding on the fly. But could barely play from ram at 18 fps and the interface felt a little sluggish in general - scrolling up and down through grade changes are so smooth on mu i9, but were steppy on the M2.

So am nervous, I just assumed this would be a piece of cake for such a modern silicon (it plays fcpx scenes way better than my i9 for example), but it’s a step down. So will the M1/M2 max be better? Dont really want to buy one to find out!

Answering my own question, I tried on an M2 Max MacBook.

RV runs very well considering it’s emulating as well. Uses way more CPU than you set, presumably Rosetta taking up extra resources.

Plays back 4.5K EXR real-time 24fps no problem, off local disk and external thunderbolt nvme. Runs the CPU pretty hard but unlike the i9 it doesn’t seem to invoke fans and stays whisper quiet.

If it becomes a native arm app (unlikely I suppose given the niche audience) I’m guessing it would be extremely impressive.

Thanks for reporting back!