Resource Planning: Weighting individual artist capabilties/potential workload

I might have missed this in a thread but I have some questions on how to account for the different capabilties of employees with similar roles.

First let me say that I’m not really talking about % Capacity which is often used to account for people split on different projects or part time employees.

What I’m talking about is an example where I have 5 animators and some are faster than others. It seems that Resource Planning treats all employees as people who are interchangable with any other person of the same dept. But perhaps my animator #1 can do 5 shots a week and animator # 2 can do 2 shots per week. How can I account for the differencing in employee capabilties. Does something exist already? Seems like there would need to be some weighted multiplier potentially.

Thanks in advance.

Christopher Lexington
Crystal Dynamics

2 Likes

Hello @clexington ,

well… we introduced the Person “% Capacity” property mainly to account for lead that, for example, can only contribute at 50% to content creation and also for part time employees but… we didn’t cap the “% Capacity” value! So, you can very well set the “% Capacity” of a really performant Artist to 150%. It will work. It’s indeed not as convenient as 2 distinct values like Capacity and Velocity that we would combine though. It’s up to you to perform the combination in the single “% Capacity” field … might still be worth giving it a try. Let us know how it works for you.

For Split in different project it’s different. This is based on Booking and “% Allocation”. There’s a maximum value for this one: 100%. This means that all the capacity of the Artist will be dedicated to the specified project (so you can allocate 100% of the 150% capacity to a single project for example :wink:).

Hoping this helps, regards,
LB

1 Like

Hi LB,

Yes, that makes sense. You mentioned “Velocity”. I didn’t see that as a field attached to “Person” entities. Perhaps you were speaking theoretically . Are there any plans to insert a velocity field? If not is there a way one could create a custom field and have that factored into the Resource Planning calculations?

I will try your suggestion but it would be nice to not have to double calculate allocation and velocity in one number. It’s the very first thing my Studio Head zeroed in on as “missing” when I first showed this off.

Thanks again for the quick reply :slightly_smiling_face:

Christopher

1 Like

Hi,

yes, I indeed was speaking theoretically when talking about a “Person > Velocity” field. This is not available. Right now it’s on you to double calculate and to include it in the “% Capacity” as you mention unfortunately. This is very constructive feedback, we’re taking note of your request to add a “Person > Velocity” field.

Thx!
LB

1 Like

Just to add some of my thoughts to this thread - I had a similar question, @clexington ! What I ended up doing is creating a skill level field on Task, and multiplying that by the duration (or you can use bid), and then calculating the result into the workload. I’m not sure if this will help in your scenario, but I thought I would add it here in case this pique’s anyone’s interest.

Check out this quick demo:

3 Likes

Hi LB,

Just curious, if I made that custom field on the Person entity, would I be able to modify how Resource Planning calculates things? Can I customize it to say, take a person and multiple their resource calculation by my new custom field? Or is there no way to modify the way the amount of resources are calculated?

I know you said the velocity field doesn’t exist…but I’m wondering if you mean there is no way to modify how resources are calculated or if I can but it would take customization :slight_smile:
Thanks!

Chris

1 Like

Hi Shayna,

So nice to hear from you!

Yeah, it sounds like it’s related. Correct me if I’m wrong but it sounds like you are weighting the task to calculate workload. But you still would be treating all artists as people with interchangable ability right? It’s not saying like Artist A has a baseline capability multiplier of 1.0…so normal resource x 1 remains unchanged. And Artist B is a senior or at last a ton of experience and has a capabilty multiplier of 1.5. So their resource capability would be: normal resource x 1.5 or 50% faster than Artist A. Am I understanding correctly?

C

1 Like

Upon further review, I’d probably call a multiplier on each person as a “capabilty multiplier”. Because I’m weighting people by there respective capabilties which varies quite a bit. Would that be considered the same as the artist velocity that is being mentioned?

Thank you!

C

1 Like

Hello @clexington,

right now there is no way to customize how the capacity values (artistic resources) are calculated unfortunately. You need to use the % Capacity Person system field which cannot be configured and turned into a Calculated field.

The closest we could get to a Capability Multiplier Person property implementation right now would be to add you own calculated field Copy me to SG % Capacity, to have that field based on your own desired field, let’s say My % Capacity and My Capacity Multiplier. Then the Copy me to SG % Capacity calculated field formula could look like this:

TO_PERCENT({sg_my___capacity} * {sg_my_capability_multiplier})

Finally, you’d have to copy over the values/result of the computation of Copy me to SG % Capacity to the system % Capacity field after every changes. A trick to do that is to export/import the Person entries to .csv, to re-import right away and to target % Capacity on import with the values from Copy me to SG % Capacity. This is definitely not an elegant solution though… but it could work for now.

I might suggests adding your Capability Multiplier feature suggestion to our Product Board.

Hoping this helps and clarifies things,
Thx!
LB

2 Likes