"Play in Rv" opens version which doesn't exist

Hi all,

I have a weird problem with opening rv from shotgun and I dont understand whats happening.
When I open a Version in rv from shotgun, rv always loads and additional empty version. It even loads the additional version, if it doesn’t exist in shotgun.


Hello Anton,

It looks to me, like you don’t have a correct path.
It is either that sg_path_to_frames isn’t setup properly or that RV is configured so that it doesn’t play the sg_path_to_frames contents.

What does your Version Entity look like in ShotGrid?

Secondly when RV opens you can go to the ShotGrid Menu Tab then Session Prefs

  1. Swap Media - which Media is loaded on default
  2. Advanced/Set ShotGrid Config Style -In the Main viiew at the bottom it says what config you use
    if you just clicked into the main view the command will be cancelled so you don’t actually change anything.
    You can then have a look, or have someone else have a look, inside the *path-to-rv-folder*\plugins\Mu\shotgrid_fields_config_WHATEVER-WAS-DISPLAYED.mu File what MEDIA TYPES are configured.
    The Default is sg_path_to_frames so if you’ve never changed anything it is more likely to be that your preferred Media Type isn’t setup correctly.

Cheers, Henna

Hi Henna,
im pretty sure the sg_path_to_frames is set up correctly. I edited the Version Name field and added test at the end. Rv loads the correct version and for some reason loads a test2 as well.

Looks like there is no shotgrid_fields_config set. The only config in the plugins folder is called shotgrid_fields_config_standard


1 Like

Well test2 is an RV nuisance, where the shotgrid package increments the session manager ui names. So it probably loads the same version twice.

I’m not sure how relevant this is, but maybe the spaces in the ui name cause an error? Have you tired renaming the version code?

Also the rvlink protocoll could cause an error, that it sets up 2 sourceGroups.

Nope, spaces and even the colon in the version by Anton is not the problem…

That’s an interesting point, as I’m responsible for setting up the protocol in a custom way on windows in our facility, but f.e. our coordination who’s using a Mac with vanilla RV has the same issue :confused:

If it happens in Vanilla RV as well, it might be a subject for the RV Support Team.

Have you tried Open in Screeningroom for RV? Since Compare in Screeningroom is not available I wonder if it loads the source twice for you.

We have been troubleshooting a similar issue. It appears that the additional versions are placeholders loaded on startup for other media representations. Once you swap media for frames or movie, they “fill up” with one of the representations.

But shouldn’t they all be loading under the initial (properly named) source? Any idea what could be causing?

Yes, the newest RV does in fact sort of preload different Media Types (2022.3.1 maybe also 1 or 2 releases sooner). But the default would be 3 (Frames, Movie, Streaming) and only if the Multiple Media Representations Tool is active.

I may have asked this sooner, but which RV Version do you use? Do you have a Menu Entry
Shot Grid / Session Prefs / Use Multiple Source Media Representations and if yes, is it checked?

And did you Support Ticket give you the answer you needed?

We are using 2022.3.1 and yes, I can confirm that this behavior started with the release of 2022.3.0 (maybe sooner, but that’s when I noticed it). And multiple media representations is active. If we turn it off, the ghost versions no longer load. So it’s definitely related to the MMR implementation.

It also appears that the preload depends on what fields are filled or empty. We always get at least 2 versions since “path to movie” is always filled out and the path to streaming media is a default. But if “path to frames” is empty, we only get 2 versions. If “path to frames” is filled, we get 3 versions (frames, movie, streaming).

But the two things we’re trying to confirm:

– Is the loading of these ghost versions the intended functionality of the tool? In the past it seems as if the media representations would have been loaded as subclips under the main source, rather than loading the sources 3 separate times. Having multiple copies of the same version when you have dozens of sources loaded is incredibly confusing.

– And if I start navigating using the SG browser in RV, those extra versions do not get loaded and I lose the ability to swap media. So, for instance, if I select a playlist in the SG web browser and “view in screening room for RV” it will load with the ghost versions and I can swap media fine. If I now use the SG browser tray in RV to say select a few clips in the playlist and “play selected in timeline” (or really do anything else to load another clip from the browser tray) those clips load with no ghost versions and if I try to swap media, I get an error that the switch group can find the media I’m looking for.

Our pipeline team has an open support ticket, but we have not receive an answer about this.

We disabled “Use Multiple Source Media Representations” for now to get rid of the ghost verisons.

Hi @gbailey.
There is an open ticket in Autodesk Support about this issue, and was answered last week.
Please, make sure your team is receiving the last emails about the case or please reach us again.
The behaviour you shared is the expected one and it is caused by the Multiple Media Representations feature.
There are some improvements that have been taken in consideration to make the future use of this feature more clear.
You are more that welcome to visit the client portal to the Feature Request road map, to raise a Feature Request.
I hope this help with your issue.

1 Like