Introductions!

Hey y’all,

I’m Brandon Foster, though you’ll probably see a lot of people also calling me “Fozzie” (I’ll respond to either one :wink: ). Like many on the team, I was a passionate user of Shotgun prior to joining the team, first as QA on “Revolver” (which ultimately became Screening Room) and now I’m a manager on the Street Team.

Prior to joining Shotgun I spent time in production roles in animation, vfx, and as a technical artist in game development. I’m based near Washington, DC, which I love since it gives me the opportunity to help and interact with many of our clients in Europe as well as North America.

I’m super excited for this next chapter of our community, and I can’t wait to keep contributing it with all of you!

14 Likes

Hey there,
I’m a pipeline consultant/freelancer based in Bristol, UK but working for a variety of clients around the world.

I’ve had a long road to get here, from studying and working in architecture, going freelance as a arch-vis artists, then producing animations for TV and then working my way through a bunch of studios in London as a Lighting TD before finally going full-time pipeline TD. Glad to be part of the solution (I hope) rather than dealing with the problems on the coal face!

Great to see the new forum… great work!

Cheers!
Patrick Macdonald

16 Likes

Hi I’m Doug MacMillan aka cgdougm.

I am a pipeline engineer at Tippett Studios in Berkley.

Tippett has been using Shotgun on a local server since version one before I joined in 2012.

I just updated Tippett to using Docker to host the latest upgrade. That was fun to get on the Docker bandwagon.

I used Shotgun at IMD prior to that.

I first saw Shotgun at Core when they were starting up “The Wild” in '04 in Potrero Hill in SF. It was very ground breaking.

16 Likes

THE DougM! :raised_hands: :

3 Likes

Part of many great solutions for our clients over the years, to be sure. :slight_smile: Thanks for posting Patrick!

2 Likes

Hey gang,

I’m Jeff! I manage the pipeline engineering team here at Shotgun, and I’ve been with the team four years now. Prior to joining this group, I spent many years in the pipeline department at Rhythm and Hues in Los Angeles, followed by a few years at Blur Studio.

I live and work with my wife, Alexa, and our puppy, Kimi (named after the famed Finnish racing driver), from our home in Seattle, WA.

15 Likes

Hi guys,

Thanks for the sleek new Discourse, looking nice. I’m Hristo Velev, owner and manager at http://bottleshipvfx.com in Sofia, Bulgaria, and I’m overseeing FX and pipeline. Great to be here!

Cheers

15 Likes

Hi, I’m Matt, currently working at Cutting Edge vfx in Sydney. I’m helping transition the studio from a bespoke pipeline to one using Shotgun Toolkit, which I’m new to. Appreciating the help so far!

14 Likes

Welcome Doc! glad to have you here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:partying_face::raised_hands:

1 Like

Hi Everyone!

I’m Neil and am a manager on the Street team, here at Shotgun. I’ve been with the team over 4 years now and that time has certainly flown! Prior to joining Shotgun, I spent my days slinging pipeline code in the animation & vfx world.

I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada, with my wife & cat, but actually spend a good chunk of my time on the road. I take every opportunity I get to jump on a plane and see a different parts of the world, whether it be for work or just to see something new and interesting.

Very excited to see this community grow on Discourse. I think there’s a lot of awesome potential here to connect with people here.

See y’all round!

15 Likes

Hello!!!

I’m KP… and I am so happy to see this finally happening!!! Community building!

I spent 10+ years on the AWESOME Shotgun team. I used the be the entire support team, did some dev-ops, moved to Toolkit, then to the pipeline services team. I’m now at GPL Technologies writing custom pipeline software and tools much like I was doing when I left Shotgun. Prior to Shotgun I was the Production Systems Manager at Blue Sky Studios (ah the good ole days!).

I live in Chicago with my wife Bridget and two daughters, Wren (7), and Scout (5) who keep me continually exhausted.

The Shotgun community is the smartest and coolest bunch of nerd-o whack-a-mole awesome people I’ve encountered in my life. So I truly hope this helps bring everyone together even more!

cheers,
kp

22 Likes

Hi Folks!

I’m Andrew and I’m working on the Shotgun Street team. I recently relocated to South Korea but prior to that, I was based in London! Before Shotgun you could find me in edit suits at various VFX facilities in London checking cut in/out points, running dailies sessions and trying to avoid spoilers from the latest cut references, and I absolutely loved it! :heart_eyes:

I’m super excited to be able to work with more of our clients in Asia who we traditionally have not been able to have much outreach with. We have a growing community out here and I can’t wait to use this platform to bring everyone together and share ideas & knowledge from all our amazing worldwide studios!

Do reach out if you are in :kr: or nearby, we’d love to connect with you, or even if you just want recommendations for some kick-ass BBQ restaurants, I got you covered! :sunglasses:

In my spare time, I love to mix me some good tunes! I recently built a DJ workstation on wheels for my new apartment made entirely from IKEA furniture! (why on wheels you ask? well, who doesn’t want the ability to roll your entire workstation from your office to the kitchen for a spontaneous kitchen party! :control_knobs: :headphones: )

17 Likes

Hey all,

I’m Alex and I head up the Pipeline at Arch Platform and Vitality VFX, we are working on changing the way VFX facilities spin up and the way artists work. We are developing a cloud based platform very tightly integrated with Shotgun Toolkit!

I have been in the industry for about 8 years moving from Roto/Paint, to Compositing at Zoic and then in various pipeline roles at Zoic and Digital Domain. I am based out of Vancouver but the rest of our team is out of LA or London.
Most of our team is relatively new to toolkit but have picked it up quickly and are hoping to release some new engines out on github in the future to give back to the community!

In my spare time you can catch me running, skiing or tending to my garden, I don’t get as much sun as @tannaz so my tomatoes aren’t as big but my squash usually do pretty well!

If you are ever in Vancouver or Los Angeles and want to grab a beer hit me up! I often am in LA for some meetings and would love to meet up!

Thanks
-Alex

16 Likes

Welcome, Alex! Squash is very impressive!

And your “cloud based platform very tightly integrated with Shotgun Toolkit” sounds really interesting! I see you’ve put in a few tickets with us. Keep the questions coming as you guys build out your integration; I’d love to learn more about how you are using Toolkit.

5 Likes

Hi all,

I’m Frank and mostly work out of my home office in Wellington. I do a lot of compositing overflow work, some vfx supervision and (usually Nuke specific) workflow customisations.
I also collaborate closely with a cg company in Auckland and together we provide a comprehensive vfx team to tackle anything from TVCs to features and episodal work.

I started using Shotgun at Digital Domain back when we still had a file tree representation in the side bar as the only means of navigating the database - we’ve come a longe way for sure.

Shotgun is our daily communication and review platform. We use it in a fairly lightweight manner but with a few action triggers and event handlers it facilitates our workflow greatly and keeps all the loose ends together, which means people can do what they are paid for and not worry too much about the nuts and bolts of a project.

Great we have this community now!!

16 Likes

Hi All,

I’m Kessler from the Street Team, and I’m here to help you get the most out of RV.

Prior to Shotgun, I worked at both large and medium studios helping them build out their set of pipeline tools. I bring about a decade of pipeline experience to the field, and I’ve been with Shotgun/RV for the last three years.

I live in Vancouver, BC, but I’m originally from Northern Nevada (yes, there’s a non-Vegas part of the state), studied in Georgia, and lived in LA for several years.

I’m a maker at heart and love tools, not just digital ones. I’m known for having a hobby of having hobbies. If I’m not working, you can either find me taking care of my baby daughter, or trying to make something awesome: making robots, designing circuits, building instruments, or CAD are all fair game.

Cheers,
-Kessler

16 Likes

Hi Shotgunners,

This is Nico. There’s many Rhythm+Hues alums in this community so some of you may remember me from that studio. I spent the better part of my career working at R+H in a variety of capacities, pipeline TD, occasional artist, and digital supervisor, but generally with an emphasis on process, workflow, and technology.

Since departing R+H I had a two-year tenure at DWA as a supervising TD. I’ve since moved on to the role of director of pipeline bootstrapping a new VFX studio: MythVFX. While there’s a heavy infusion of ideas from R+H (or any good ideas from anywhere for that matter), we strive to avoid needlessly re-inventing the wheel and adopt/adapt off-the-shelf solutions wherever possible. Shotgun and Toolkit have been a natural fit, and part of the success of its deployment in our studio is access to a community of like-minded individuals with shotgun expertise such as yourselves.

Cheers,
Nico

15 Likes

Nico! Welcome! So great to you have your contributions to the conversation here. :blush:

6 Likes

Hey Nico! Ditto to everything that Tannaz said :slight_smile: It’s good to see your face, even if it’s a 45x45 avatar :slight_smile:

6 Likes