How do I change my name on Shotgrid?

Hi
Since our site was migrated, everyone’s name has become messy.
This causes a lot of confusion when assigning artists.
I modified the name in the Autodesk account setting, but it was not reflected in Shotgrid.
How can I do?
Thanks.

Hi @sichoi ,

With the migration to Autodesk Identity, ShotGrid is no longer in control of the user’s name.

Their name is defined (and can be changed) in the user’s profile on https://profile.autodesk.com

Once the name is changed there, it should be updated on the ShotGrid site:

• if licenses are used, the update should be done automatically within 2 or 3 minutes of the change,
  • at login time on ShotGrid. This is an assured synchronisation point.

Hope this helps,

-Patrick

Okay, but I think it’s not friendly to project managers.

Thank you.

Hi @sichoi

I realize that in a context where a lot of collaborators are distributed all over the globe, with their own languages and character sets, makes thing more challenging.

One workaround that comes to mind is to add an extra column on the People’s page, to have the user’s name in the latin character set.

-Patrick

but that extra column don’t use to query when I fill in assign field, do that?

You are correct : a new field would not be used.

My apologies, the only solution I have to offer at this time is to ask your users to set their names in a way that is useful to you.

One potential solution on our side would be to offer a mode where first-name and last-name are not updated from Autodesk Identity, allowing users and local admins to override it.

-Patrick

One potential solution on our side would be to offer a mode where first-name and last-name are not updated from Autodesk Identity, allowing users and local admins to override it.

I request this to be applied as soon as possible.
We are receiving a lot of complaints from many clients.

Hi @sichoi

We have a ticket for that: SG-23097

The developer should start working on this in the next few days.

-Patrick

Hi @patrick-hubert-adsk

I found this option today.
But even if I disable this option, I can’t change the user’s name.
Please return the permission to modify the name field.
Thanks.

Hi @sichoi

When Autodesk Identity is enabled, you need to disable the user in order to modify their name and email in ShotGrid. Once the editing is done, you re-enable them.

-Patrick

@patrick-hubert-adsk
However how do I change my name on my own?
I know that there is a way to change it after adding an admin user.
But, it’s too inconvenient.
And for sites that are have many users, it is much more efficient to allow themselves to change their names because too many users have already been renamed.

Hi @sichoi

Inconvenient, yes, I agree. But you do not change your name every day. So this mitigates the severity of this issue.

I have created ticket SG-24467 for this work. Not sure when this will be addressed.

-Patrick