When looking at a page of Versions for my Assets, how to see in which Shots those Assets appear?

We all know that one of the powerful things about Shotgun is the ability to relate things to one another, and then show that data in different contexts to answer questions you may have. Then how do I user the linked field (bubbled field) to show in which Shots my Assets appears in on Versions page?

4 Likes

On Shotgun, you could use the linked field to related things from one entity onto the other linked entities. Here is an example below:

Request:

When looking at a page of Versions for my Assets, how to see in which Shots those Assets appear.

When showing in which Shots my Assets appears in on Versions page, someone may end up with Link->Shot->Shot Code as below, but seems not working.

The Link > Shot > Shot Code linked field isn’t the one you use to get to the linked Shots of the Version’s linked Asset. If you go to the Asset page, you will see that the field that contains the Asset’s linked Shots is the Shots field. You are looking for the Version linked field Link > Asset > Shots

To describe the linking field functionality on the Version:

The first portion of the field Link refers to the Version’s multi-entity Link field. If you follow it down the strand, the next connection is Shot which is one of the entities possible in the Version’s multi-entity Link field.

Once you are in the Shot, you are specifically looking at the Shot’s field Shot Code . However, you don’t want to follow the path of the Version’s linked Shot, because your Version isn’t linked to a Shot, it’s linked to an Asset. The Version will show you all the possible linked entities in the Linked fields menu, even if it isn’t specifically linked to one of those entities.

So the path you need to follow is Link > Asset > Shots

Link - referring to the Link field on the Version
Asset - referring to the type of entity actually in the Versions Link field
Shots - referring to the actual Shots field on the Asset entity that tells you which Shots are linked to it.

You could refer to the following post if you would like to use linked fields (aka bubbled fields) in API request:

Cheers,
Ben

4 Likes