Ticket activity to use the SG inbox

Is it possible to connect ticket activity/feedback to the users SG inbox?

Currently - it looks like it just sends a message to the users registered email.

We use an external/secured web browser where user mail account lives - so there is a disconnect here in terms of notifications and ability to download/attach internal data.

4 Likes

Hi @dduffy,

Thanks for the question, and welcome to the community! Currently Ticket updates are not tied into the My Tasks or Inbox workflows. You can send your feature ideas to our product team directly through our roadmap site. More info about that here:

2 Likes

One question about this, are tickets semi-deprecated entities? The fact that they’re not tied into the Inbox workflow and the UI around them implied to me that they were old and not being updated any more.

In our case, I just made a new ticket entity and have a Shotgun Event Daemon script that posts notes on a ticket so that they can appear in people’s inboxes.

1 Like

Tickets aren’t deprecated entities, by any means. They were originally implemented so the Shotgun team could track its development work on our own Shotgun site. Since Shotgun isn’t primarily a tool for tracking technical development, the entity never saw much further development beyond its initial implementation. When things like Inbox/My Tasks were developed they were done so primarily with the Task based assignment workflow in mind.

You can subscribe to email updates to Tickets in your user settings, but if you need updates to appear in the web Inbox, then your workaround sounds like the best bet.

3 Likes

Reviving this thread…

I’m setting up an internal ticketing system and I’m also wanting ticket activity to show up in the Shotgun Inbox. I can’t figure out any way to get Ticket activity to show up in the inbox. Even when I do as @Gary mentioned and create a new Note linked to the Ticket no activity shows up. I am getting emails due to my notification settings but I’d love to get the Inbox working in some fashion.

I noticed in my Global Follow Settings for the Ticket entity that the Note checkbox is greyed out and unchecked.

I’m wondering if this could have something to do with it. Does anyone have any ideas?

I’m not even receiving activity for the field changes I have setup either…

2 Likes

The Ticket entity was unfortunately just not incorporated into the original designs of the Inbox. Which entities can have Notes linked to them is also something that’s hard-wired, so out-of-the-box there isn’t a direct way to get Ticket updates into the Inbox.

I think Gary’s workaround involved the Event Daemon recognizing a Ticket creation/update event, then creating a Note addressed to the Ticket assignee so it shows up in their Inbox.

Getting Ticket data into the Inbox would all be elaborate workarounds right now. I’d recommend submitting your thoughts to our product team via the link earlier up on the thread to let them know more about your use cases.

1 Like

Thanks Brandon,

It turns out that Notes I create addressed to myself do not show up in my Inbox. That definitely threw me for a loop. After logging in as a test user and creating a Ticket + Note addressed to my real user, I did receive a notification in my real users Inbox.

2 Likes

Ah, ya. We typically don’t send you notifications for Notes you make, the reason being you probably don’t need to be reminded what you just did, but you will receive any replies people make to your Notes.

1 Like