Thumbnail issues

I commented on another thread but I’m noticing several issues today & I’m wondering if anyone else is encountering them:

• Thumbnails based on queries for episodes, shots & assets do NOT play the latest versions posted, but rather two versions back.
  • Newly-created (i.e., posted today) manual thumbnails result in absolutely inaccessible versions: if I post a .wav file and then manually add the play button image as a thumbnail (something I did yesterday and it worked fine, and those STILL work), not only can I not get the file to play from the Version screen by clicking on the thumbnail, I can’t work my way around to get it to play anywhere at all.
  • And then as commented on in another thread, annotations and attachments only show up as links to files in Notes, not as viewable images.
3 Likes

Hi @jlweiss,

The issue identified in the Annotations not visible thread is due to a transcoder issue we’ve identified. So all of the items you outlined could definitely be related. The issue has been escalated, and we’re working on getting this fixed as soon as possible. In the meantime, I’ll check with the team to ensure the other issues you’ve identified here are all due to the same bug. Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime, and stay tuned for updates.

Best,
Shayna

3 Likes

Hi @jlweiss,

Quick clarification - these are custom query type fields that display a thumbnail, correct? In other words, not the Thumbnail image field Shotgun ships with that can have a smart thumbnail configuration?

2 Likes

The general default query for the thumbnails are latest versions for the linked entity, which I think is the smart thumbnail standard configuration. So for the entities in question (let’s say a shot), if you click “play” on the thumbnail displayed for the shot, the version that comes up is not the latest one. If you’re on a versions pages where it’s just the default image, you’re fine. And the other versions are clearly there & playable and just living their best lives, but it’s confusing because you’re expecting to see the latest and instead it’s going back a few, and if you don’t realize that and go looking for the latest, it’s especially confusing.

And then also, if on a posted .wav file version I manually upload an image (which is my standard practice to get it to behave like the other versions and be playable from the thumbnail field), then the image uploads and is visible, but clicking on it does not lead to anything playing. At best you get a larger view of the image in a new tab.

3 Likes

Got it. So we just deployed a fix to the transcoder and things should be back to how they were before the bug was introduced. We’re hoping that what you’ve outlined was due to the same issue, since we couldn’t reproduce these issues once the fix was deployed. Can you confirm if things are looking better?

2 Likes

All the issues I listed above are looking good, except for the test .wav files I uploaded yesterday (with a manual thumbnail image), but I’ll try that again today and see if it’s fixed if I upload anew. Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi @jlweiss,

Following up, we’re still working on resubmitting the failed transcoded jobs from yesterday. More information regarding this on our status page:

Cheers,
Shayna

1 Like