Stacking two images and viewing comp range only?

Hi all,

I’m often comparing scans to other sources in stack mode. Such as 3d dailies, anim, fx slaps and comps. These get compared to the scan…

The dailies are always rendered to the comp range (delivery range plus handles) wheres the scan can often be longer. How can I tell RV to always load the comp range when comparing in stack mode (topmost) instead of loading to the longest frame range? I want to be able to do this by default as I often am reviewing 30-50 submissions like this in a session

Thanks,

2 Likes

Hi @keggers,

Thanks for posting, and unfortunately there is no way to set the frame range while loading it up in RV. What we can set is only to play with/without slate.

You could indicate whether or not the versions uploaded have slate by checking/unchecking sg_frames_have_slate or sg_movie_has_slate field on Versions entity.

And then you could set your preference in RV to play with/without slate.

Not sure if it could help you.

2 Likes

Hi @Ben_xzj

Thanks for the help on this. Not quite what I need unfortunately. As an example I am currently comparing a comp to a scan. Frame ranges are

scan = 1001-1125
comp = 1017-1109

We store the comp range in a “Work in” and “Work out” field in shogtun. It would be very useful to have this as a preference to be able to force RV to use in Screening room for comparing two image sequences when loading a shot from screening room

Hope that helps give more context?

thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @keggers,

Thanks for the additional information. It’s definitely not something we could get via RV UI, but not sure if there is any config file you could modify on.

I’ll leave it here for RV engineers. Stay tuned.

Cheers,
Ben

1 Like

Hey @keggers,

To add to Ben’s reply about Screening Room, I think that the option you’re looking for is the Session Prefs -> Cut Length. However, this option looks at “cut length” and “cut in” and “cut out” fields in Shotgun, while it sounds like you have some custom fields?

If you take a look under RV -> PlugIns -> Mu -> shotgun_fields_config_standard.mu you’ll see all the fields that Screening Room sees. If you look under editorial info, you can see the cut length/cut in/cut out. You can change these fields to point to where your cut in info lives:

("frameIn",             "In Frame",             "sg_work_in",            "number",      "Shot",          false),
("frameOut",            "Out Frame",            "sg_work_out",           "number",      "Shot",          false),
("cutOrder",            "Cut Order",            "sg_cut_order",         "number",      "Shot",          false),

then you can try Session Prefs -> Cut Length and see if your fields values get picked up. If they do, you’ll still need to write a small RV package to enable the stack and set the operation to over.

If above doesn’t work, unfortunately you’d have to write your own package to handle this specific case. This is what it would look like:

• Bind an event on group-source-complete, and cycle through each source that is loaded in.

• Grab Shotgun mode singleton to get version information, Kessler has written a nice reply about it here: RV Screening Room read version data - #7 by Michael.Kessler

• Once you have the version’s fields, you can set the cut in/out fields in rv per-source, like so:

commands.setIntProperty(“%s.cut.in” % node, [14], True)
    commands.setIntProperty(“%s.cut.out” % node, [26], True)

• Then you can add them to the stack with over operation enabled:

stack = groupMembersOfType(newGroup, “RVStack”)
    commands.setIntProperty(“%s.composite.type” % stack, [“over”], True)
    commands.setIntProperty(“%s.mode.useCutInfo” % stack, [1], True)
    commands.setIntProperty(“%s.mode.alignStartFrames” % stack, [1], True)

Let us know if any of these ideas help!

Thanks,
Alexa

2 Likes