Setting a default Software version

If you have multiple versions of a software package installed, Shotgun Desktop will use the latest version as the default. However, it is possible to set a different default version.

To do this you can create two Software entities on your Shotgun site.
On one of them fill in the Versions field with the version you want to be default, and tick the Group Default checkbox. Then on the other fill in all the other versions, you want to be available.

This should then mean that Shotgun Desktop will use the Group Default version over the others if you don’t select a version from the drop-down.

Shotgun

You could even have different default versions depending on the project.

9 Likes

Hi @philip.scadding

Thank you for this. I’m having an issue when I try to do this for Nuke specifically, where all the different Nuke-related apps (NukeAssist, NukeX, NukeStudio, etc.) go under one Nuke icon, and NukeAssist ends up being the default app launched. How can this be avoided? I would like to keep our current app layout but have only a couple of Nuke versions made available.

You tried the Win/Mac/Linux Args or the Group?

1 Like

This works, thanks a lot @Francesc_Macià

1 Like

I’ve configured our Hiero Player launchers in the way described, but I’m not seeing the desired behaviour. In the dropdown menu that should list the available versions, I just see:

Hiero Player Default
Hiero Player Others

…where I would expect to see:

Hiero Player 14.0.2*
Hiero Player 14.0.1
Hiero Player 13.2.5

Have I done something wrong?

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 14.00.30

If you enter a path in the software laucnher then the automatic discovery for versions does not run.
Also trhe automatic discovery for versions, by default, would not work for you since you have a custom rez path.

You will likely have to fork the tk-nuke engine and change the startup.py functions to do what you want it to do.

You may also need to fork the tk-multi-launchapp since it is reponsible for displaying the software entities.

Ah so this behaviour depends on automatic discovery? That wasn’t clear - thanks Ricardo.

I can get pretty much the behaviour I want without forking anything, by manually creating an entry for every version, but this seems to create a lot of almost redundant entries.

then the automatic discovery for versions does not run.

I do see entries appearing in the dropdown menu for which there is no entry in the Shotgrid web gui table, e.g.
Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 14.23.20

…however the ‘automatic path discovery’ should not be adding that entry either, since there’s no corresponding app on disk. This persists after I destroy my ~/.shotgun directory. I’m trying to figure out where they’re coming from.

Thanks Ricardo

Could it be a hardcoded Hiero Entity in the tk-multi-launchapp settings in your config?
I think the default2 config has one by default.

Thanks Ricardo that set me off in the right direction - looks like I just need to comment out some entries in tk-desktop.yml

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

No worries!