Segmentation fault

Hello !

In our company, we commonly use the RV tool Live Review to present the work of the teams. Unfortunately, this tool causes RV to crash very randomly, each time with this error message:
(http://rez-shell.sh): line 8: 4390 Segmentation fault (core dumped) rv

We encountered this issue with version rv-2021.1.0, and even now after an update from rv-2022.2.0 and rv-2022.3.0.

This seems to happen when we play (via Screening Room) different versions of a same shot, but also when we play another shot. It also happens when we draw with the tool Annotation.

Would you know anything about this issue ?

Thank you all.

Is this happening on multiple machines?

Segmentation fault can also usually mean faulty memory or running out of memory.

Yes it happens on multiple machines.

We backtraced RV to know more about this error, and we noticed that a function “malloc” is called before crashing, each time we encounter the error.

We can’t know more from the backtrace, but yes, this seems to happen when the software tries to use memory.

I don’t know if it can be related, but we use the version Linux 5.2.11-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64 of CentOS 7.

yeah malloc is the memory allocator as far as I know.
Could it be a library issue?

I don’t think so, because it looks very random. Some days, there are not so many crashes, but nowadays it is more and more frequent. Even if we haven’t changed anything.

Maybe it could be the cache ?

1 Like

You could make a ticket to get this picked up officially.