SC and MyTask page should follow same UX concepts

I guess the title says it already.
As you design and develop SC, please try and update the My Task page with relevant improvements as well, so the two don’t feel like complete strangers.
the My Task page is in desperate need for a better more flexible UI anyway (it’s not really a “My Task” page but more of a “Tasks Assigned to me presented in a way somebody else things is good” page.

Cheers,
frank

7 Likes

Hey Frank! I saw your thread on better filtering options. What other sorts of things are you looking for that you feel is lacking now in My Tasks vs. other parts of the application?

Also, did you know about the admin options in the Manage Apps area on Shotgun? There are some customizations you can make to My Tasks like changing the sort and display of fields on the tasks.

2 Likes

Hey @dennis my main peeve with the My Tasks page is that it can only be configured globally rather than allowing each artist to make it their own, including filtering and sorting.
There have been a few suggestions over the years which would come in handy as well, such as a personalised to-to list.
But the former is definitely the biggest issue for me.

Cheers,
frank

3 Likes

Hey Frank!

Thanks for the feedback on this. I’m adding this to our feedback stack around My Tasks. The to-do list you mention, we’ve heard this mentioned a bit before, can you provide some more details on this, what sorts of things do you see this tracking, how would it be used, public/private, etc?

Cheers,
Kevin

3 Likes

I was actually just thinking a private to-do list where people can organise themselves a bit. Maybe a bit like a Trello board (without too much complexity though). It would be cool to be able to broadcast to-do items to a team, e.g. “submit time sheets by noon”, “comp meeting today” etc.

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the input on this. It’s not something on the near term roadmap, but we’ll continue to gather info about it. From the beginning of our research on Create this has surfaced in various ways: “Action Items”, “Todos”, “Some way to break my feedback down into next steps”… So there’s a need here that we’ll have to watch.

@warren.trezevant good thread to keep your eye on!

Cheers,
Kevin

1 Like

For our team we created our own version of a “My Tasks” that is organized how we like it and with the fields that are important to us. We tell the team to ignore the SG my tasks and use the new one we created. Might be an option for you too. Further to that, I have about 3 people on the team who really needed something specific and I just created custom pages on their user accounts, and they use those pages.

3 Likes

I’m a big fan of the custom pages solution too! Works great when you know exactly what people want to see.

3 Likes

sounds interesting, can you share some screenshots of your custom page layouts?

Sure - they’re not glamorous by any means but they get the job done. This is a variation on the Tasks page where my animators can go find a rig that needs testing, assign themselves, and test away, and it’s a bookmarked page with a saved filter that filters by the task name:

Then I have a “look here is the stuff you need to approve!” page for one particular reviewer, just a versions page with a saved filter based on his name in the Reviewer field and the status (active stuff and then a toggle to see past things he’s approved or asked to have revised):

And then in another thread someone was asking about to-do lists in Shotgun and in thinking about that I came up with a filter solution on Notes that I threw together for my crew and we’re using it now. The filter set up looks like this on that one:
my%202do%20list%20filters
With this one since it’s set to “Me” it’s one page for everyone. And using the “me” option, I could repurpose that Joe page above so any approver could use the same page.

I have a lot of folks set in their ways so figuring out how to get Shotgun to conform to their expectations is a big part of my day. I use these sort of tricks all the time. Hope you find these helpful. If you have a specific end point you’re trying to achieve, post it or send me a message. I’m happy to help because if it’s a useful idea we might be able to use it too. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Cool, thanks for sharing!
I am actually doing something similar with the shot pages, so that artists can keep tabs on shots where they have been assigned to a task (super simple setup but makes everybody a lot more comfortable):

I just feel that the My Task page is very rigid and hope that we will see a solid review of it some time soon.

As for ToDo items, I guess we could also explore custom entities in some way. Coupled with a canvas page that uses the progress/statistic widgets it could actually be an interesting experiment.

Anyway, it’s great to have this forum now to more easily share such ideas.

Great stuff!

frank

4 Likes

I :heart: this thread!

If you have other page layouts you’d like to share, @shaynad started a related thread over here for just that.

2 Likes