It'd be awesome if: we could have a progress bar field

I would love to have a progress bar field in Shotgun that I could hook up custom processes to such as transcodings or, more importantly, file transfers.

My use case would be:
We use a custom data transfer solution to sync data between locations.
I would create a “sync” progress bar field for versions and drive it via that tool, so that either location can check on the transfer status on the version page.

A progress bar field could also be nice to display overall shot progress by collating respective task statuses. I am sure there are more use cases.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
frank

4 Likes

Hey Frank!

Thanks for the request! If you would like to learn more about the feature request submission process, check out this post. You can “Submit Idea” directly from our roadmap page.

Regarding your Shot progress bar field, we do have a way of doing this from a Shot page using the Pipeline Steps > ALL TASKS and Status Summaries based on percentage of Tasks “Complete”. This will only work if you have one “Complete” type status for your Tasks. (In my image below you can see there is a FINAL status as well, but it is not in use for Tasks.) I have had clients request the ability to group statuses - for metrics, you might consider 3 different status “Complete” (or close enough to it). Presently, this is not possible.

This Status summary method can be used for any entity that has tasks, not just Shots. I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Beth

2 Likes

Thanks Beth, I wasn’t aware of that option.

However, since we are all working in a visual industry it would be very nice to be able to show progress bars rather than more text (which Shotgun pages tend to already be over loaded with).

As for my use-example (transferring versions), I guess I would have to add a “file transfer” task to a version. I thought I could just activate the “Enable Tasks on this entity” option for versions, but there is no such option. So I could create a custom entity with tasks, then l ink it to a version, then make the linked entity’ task summary visible on the version page, and finally write a bunch of python code to find and drive a version’s related custom entity’s task summary via our custom process. This would still not give us fine control over the progress bar’s progress though.

A simple progressbar field type would be so much easier, right?! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
frank

P.S.: I am just posting these requests here cause I am interested in other people’s input before logging it.

3 Likes

haha yes, I agree - it would be much simpler :wink: Community is the place for conversation about such things - bring them on!

For the file transfer use case, I have seen some studios use a simpler check system but they had a list field on Versions that indicated Transfer status in the form of N/A, In Progress, Complete and Error. Could potentially be driven by the Event Logs…I’m not sure what system you have in place for transferring files between locations. I realize this is more text and not a pictorial progress bar, but it would still indicate to users what is happening… just a thought :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes totally, I could also create and drive a simple text field via the python api so we see percentages, but the point was really to have some more visual approaches.

1 Like

actually, I just realised that the password strength field is exactly what I’m after as a generic field type. It’s a percentage but gets displayed as a coloured progress bar.

3 Likes

Have you tried the horizontal bar graph? Depending on what fields you have available to indicate if something has synced between locations, this might work. Here’s an example showing the status of tasks grouped by pipeline step.

3 Likes

Thanks Steward,
whilst my original request was for a generic entity field that shows a progressbar like the password strength field, I am starting to think that in my particular use case I should just add custom status list field called “transfer progress” or something (like Beth suggested), then make a canvas page like in your example.
This won’t show the actual progress of the file transfer, so it’s not quite what I had hoped for, but is still going to be very useful.

Thanks all for playing! :+1:

frank

4 Likes

One more addition. I feel a little embarrassed as I hadn’t noticed the percent field before (I have never needed it). So ideally we just have an option to display this field as a progressbar (like the password strength field already does).
Now I will go and log that feature :smiley:

5 Likes