Currency Fields

Hi everyone! I was hoping to get feedback from people with regards to Currency Fields in Shotgun.

Currently we only support a dollar symbol (or nothing at all) when using currency fields, which has been something of a limitation. I’m keen to find out how people would like for these to be more flexible, specifically in terms of:

• Which other currency types are needed?
  • Is there a need to mix currency types within your individual sites?
  • …within individual projects?
  • …within individual fields?
  • When importing from spreadsheets into a currency field, is it ok to ignore any currency symbols in those files and just look at the number?

Thanks in advance :money_mouth_face:

8 Likes

Hi Jack,

Not sure what the right solution is but let me illustrate some of our constraints.

1. We have multiple projects in multiple regions and each of those projects might use a different currency and have multiple currency fields across multiple tables.
  2. Would be great if we could create a calculation field to present a user the calculation of a base currency (Dollars) translation to a target currency ( Euros) using an exchange rate field from the project entity and or some other linked field. This means supporting deep fields for calculations.
  3. In some instances it would be convenient to be able to describe the currency at the page view or via a calculation field. After all its just a float with a decorator.

Maybe this helps you.

Romey

5 Likes

Hi Jack,
Definitely need the support for Euros for the least.

A currency calculator and the ability to fix a exchange ratio while adding entries from different currency would be optimal.

Looking forward to this

Thank you

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @jlautret!

1 Like

Very interested in this Jack!

Which other currency types are needed?
So many! We use a custom entity to manage a list of project-specific currencies (and their exchange rates), using currency code formatting. This means we typically require two fields to track the Amount (currency field) and Currency (entity field), since we’ve disabled the currency sign display in the site preferences. This is not ideal (relying on two fields), but is functional. Would definitely be interested in seeing improved currency support!

Is there a need to mix currency types within your individual sites?
Yes.

…within individual projects?
Yes.

…within individual fields?
If this is referring to having, for example, an Amount EUR and Amount USD fields on a single entity, then Maybe. We do this to an extent today. Ideally, would be interested in improved currency (and exchange rate) support that could allow you to toggle the currency display based on the project-defined currencies and exchange rates.

When importing from spreadsheets into a currency field, is it ok to ignore any currency symbols in those files and just look at the number?
Today, Yes. But with improved Currency support in Shotgun… Not sure. Would love to see a proposal for where you’re thinking of taking this! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Any updates on this?

1 Like

Hi @Romey it’s not something that is on our roadmap right now, or for the foreseeable future unfortunately. I’ll update this thread if that changes.

This would be really useful for us, at the moment we have 20 vendors working across multiple territories bidding in £,$ & €. As an aside, our online PO system sets the currency of the vendor, so all transactions with that vendor are in their chosen currency. As we’re tracking bids across different currencies we have to convert the excels before importing into SG

1 Like

It’s quite amazing that Shotgrid is able to work in 4 different languages but only supports one currency.

I would have thought that implementing user control that allows changing one $ sign with a £ or € sign would be a walk in the park compared to a new language.

Why would something like currency be hardcoded in the first place?!
It’s like hardcoding timecode filed, nobody in their right mind would do that knowing how many timecode standards that are out there.

Please SG Team, do some small updates every now and then to keep the ship moving.

1 Like

Hello,
I am more than amazed that this conversation has been on for literally years
and you still can’t change the currency filed symbol.
Do you guys at Shotgrid consider that US Dollars is the only currency people use?

More seriously, we are paying for a production tracking tool here.
Can you please advise on how to deal with this?

Thank you

Coming back to this thread as it’s incredible that this support hasn’t been added yet.

Is there even a way to adjust the currency symbol on a given currency field? This seems like such a simple thing to add.

An update on this would help a lot of people and is a big reason a lot of people stick to FileMaker in production.

All I would say is to keep submitting this to the Productboard and perhaps make a ticket also.

Just posting it on the forums won’t make it visible.

However, saying that, you can make your own support for currency’s in ShotGrid by using Custom Entities to track these and their conversions.
It depends on the use case.