Adobe engine crashing on long operations

Good morning,

Re-posting a long standing issue I have had with the Adobe frameworks. This ‘bug’ exemplifies my love/hate relationship with the adobe frameworks.

Working with the engine is frustrating as things often behave differently in different cases. Here is the latest issue I just can’t seem to get past.

Using a operation like…

self.adobe.app.load(self.adobe.File(path))

…works great on small to medium sized files. But very large files seems to cause an issue that results in the engine crashing, very reliably.

I have mostly experienced this in Premiere where exporting a very large Sequence will cause the engine to crash. Now I am seeing this a lot in Photoshop, especially now that I am working from home via VPN. File transfers are MUCH slower and the issue has gone from occasional to almost every time.

In the past, I have gotten around these types of issues with something like…

self._HEARTBEAT_DISABLED = True
very long operation
self._HEARTBEAT_DISABLED = False

… but that does not seem to be helping here.

Sometimes I can get around all of this using the direct RPC commands…

rpc_cmd = ‘app.load(File("’+path+‘"))’
results = self.engine.adobe.rpc_eval(rpc_cmd)

But that gives the exact same results.

Here is the tail of the log.

py Sending context about to change message.
js Sending context about to change from client.
py <Sgtk Engine 0x110d0cfd0: tk-photoshopcc, env: asset_step>: Resolved hook expression (associated with setting ‘context_fields_display_hook’): ‘{self}/context_fields_display.py’ → [‘/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-wba/bundle_cache/git/tk-photoshopcc.git/v1.7.12-wba/hooks/context_fields_display.py’]
py Sending commands: {“commands”: [{“type”: “default”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-wba/bundle_cache/git/tk-photoshopcc-bookmark.git/v0.0.9/icon_256.png”, “display_name”: “Bookmarks…”, “description”: “Bookmark Tool for Quickly Loading Published Files.”, “uid”: 19}, {“type”: “default”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-loader2/v1.19.6/resources/load_menu_icon.png”, “display_name”: “Load…”, “description”: “Locate published files and reference them into your scene.”, “uid”: 15}, {“type”: “default”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/git/tk-photoshopcc-pathcontext.git/v0.0.1/icon_256.png”, “display_name”: “Set Context By Path”, “description”: “Try to set the Context using the current path.”, “uid”: 17}, {“type”: “panel”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-shotgunpanel/v1.6.4/resources/shotgun_panel_menu_icon.png”, “display_name”: “Shotgun Panel…”, “description”: “Panel UI with Shotgun information about your scene, yourself and the things around you.”, “uid”: 11}, {“type”: “default”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-snapshot/v0.7.5/resources/snapshot_history_menu_icon.png”, “display_name”: “Snapshot History…”, “description”: “This app lets you quickly take a snapshot of the scene that you are working on - essentially a quick, personal backup. You can also browse your history and restore old snapshots.”, “uid”: 21}], “context_menu_cmds”: [{“type”: “context_menu”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-wba/bundle_cache/git/tk-photoshopcc.git/v1.7.12-wba/resources/shotgun_logo.png”, “display_name”: “Jump to Shotgun”, “description”: “Open the current context in a web browser.”, “uid”: 1}, {“type”: “context_menu”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-screeningroom/v0.3.4/icon_256.png”, “display_name”: “Jump to Screening Room Web Player”, “description”: “Screening Room integration right inside your application.”, “uid”: 7}, {“type”: “context_menu”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-screeningroom/v0.3.4/icon_256.png”, “display_name”: “Jump to Screening Room in RV”, “description”: “Screening Room integration right inside your application.”, “uid”: 6}, {“type”: “context_menu”, “icon_path”: “/Applications/Shotgun.app/Contents/Resources/Python/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-pythonconsole/v1.1.2/icon_256.png”, “display_name”: “Shotgun Python Console…”, “description”: “A Python console for Shotgun Toolkit”, “uid”: 22}, {“type”: “context_menu”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-about/v0.3.0/icon_256.png”, “display_name”: “Work Area Info…”, “description”: “Shows a breakdown of your current environment and configuration.”, “uid”: 10}], “favorites”: [{“display_name”: “Task Buddy…”, “description”: “Task Information and Tools for Quickly Loading Files.”, “fav_index”: 0, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-wba/bundle_cache/git/tk-multi-taskbuddy.git/v0.0.14/icon_256.png”, “type”: “default”, “uid”: 18}, {“display_name”: “Snapshot…”, “description”: “This app lets you quickly take a snapshot of the scene that you are working on - essentially a quick, personal backup. You can also browse your history and restore old snapshots.”, “fav_index”: 2, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-snapshot/v0.7.5/resources/snapshot_menu_icon.png”, “type”: “default”, “uid”: 20}, {“display_name”: “Publish…”, “description”: “Publishing of data to Shotgun”, “fav_index”: 4, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-publish2/v2.4.1/icon_256_dark.png”, “type”: “default”, “uid”: 16}]}
js Setting commands from client: {“commands”: [{“type”: “default”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-wba/bundle_cache/git/tk-photoshopcc-bookmark.git/v0.0.9/icon_256.png”, “display_name”: “Bookmarks…”, “description”: “Bookmark Tool for Quickly Loading Published Files.”, “uid”: 19}, {“type”: “default”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-loader2/v1.19.6/resources/load_menu_icon.png”, “display_name”: “Load…”, “description”: “Locate published files and reference them into your scene.”, “uid”: 15}, {“type”: “default”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/git/tk-photoshopcc-pathcontext.git/v0.0.1/icon_256.png”, “display_name”: “Set Context By Path”, “description”: “Try to set the Context using the current path.”, “uid”: 17}, {“type”: “panel”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-shotgunpanel/v1.6.4/resources/shotgun_panel_menu_icon.png”, “display_name”: “Shotgun Panel…”, “description”: “Panel UI with Shotgun information about your scene, yourself and the things around you.”, “uid”: 11}, {“type”: “default”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-snapshot/v0.7.5/resources/snapshot_history_menu_icon.png”, “display_name”: “Snapshot History…”, “description”: “This app lets you quickly take a snapshot of the scene that you are working on - essentially a quick, personal backup. You can also browse your history and restore old snapshots.”, “uid”: 21}], “context_menu_cmds”: [{“type”: “context_menu”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-wba/bundle_cache/git/tk-photoshopcc.git/v1.7.12-wba/resources/shotgun_logo.png”, “display_name”: “Jump to Shotgun”, “description”: “Open the current context in a web browser.”, “uid”: 1}, {“type”: “context_menu”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-screeningroom/v0.3.4/icon_256.png”, “display_name”: “Jump to Screening Room Web Player”, “description”: “Screening Room integration right inside your application.”, “uid”: 7}, {“type”: “context_menu”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-screeningroom/v0.3.4/icon_256.png”, “display_name”: “Jump to Screening Room in RV”, “description”: “Screening Room integration right inside your application.”, “uid”: 6}, {“type”: “context_menu”, “icon_path”: “/Applications/Shotgun.app/Contents/Resources/Python/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-pythonconsole/v1.1.2/icon_256.png”, “display_name”: “Shotgun Python Console…”, “description”: “A Python console for Shotgun Toolkit”, “uid”: 22}, {“type”: “context_menu”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-about/v0.3.0/icon_256.png”, “display_name”: “Work Area Info…”, “description”: “Shows a breakdown of your current environment and configuration.”, “uid”: 10}], “favorites”: [{“display_name”: “Task Buddy…”, “description”: “Task Information and Tools for Quickly Loading Files.”, “fav_index”: 0, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-wba/bundle_cache/git/tk-multi-taskbuddy.git/v0.0.14/icon_256.png”, “type”: “default”, “uid”: 18}, {“display_name”: “Snapshot…”, “description”: “This app lets you quickly take a snapshot of the scene that you are working on - essentially a quick, personal backup. You can also browse your history and restore old snapshots.”, “fav_index”: 2, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-snapshot/v0.7.5/resources/snapshot_menu_icon.png”, “type”: “default”, “uid”: 20}, {“display_name”: “Publish…”, “description”: “Publishing of data to Shotgun”, “fav_index”: 4, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-publish2/v2.4.1/icon_256_dark.png”, “type”: “default”, “uid”: 16}]}
py Execution of post_context_change for engine <Sgtk Engine 0x110d0cfd0: tk-photoshopcc, env: asset_step> is complete.
py Context changed successfully.
js Setting commands.
py Traceback (most recent call last):
py File “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-wba/python/tk_framework_adobe_utils/plugin_bootstrap.py”, line 158, in
py bootstrap(root_path, port, engine_name, app_id)
py File “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-wba/python/tk_framework_adobe_utils/plugin_bootstrap.py”, line 85, in bootstrap
py engine.post_qt_init()
py File “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-wba/bundle_cache/git/tk-photoshopcc.git/v1.7.12-wba/engine.py”, line 352, in post_qt_init
py self.adobe.rpc_eval(rpc_cmd)
py File “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-wba/python/tk_framework_adobe/rpc/communicator.py”, line 358, in rpc_eval
py wrapper_class=ProxyWrapper,
py File “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-wba/python/tk_framework_adobe/rpc/communicator.py”, line 712, in __run_rpc_command
py results = self._wait_for_response(payload[“id”])
py File “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-wba/python/tk_framework_adobe/adobe_bridge.py”, line 45, in wrapper
py result = func(*args, **kwargs)
py File “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-wba/python/tk_framework_adobe/adobe_bridge.py”, line 422, in _wait_for_response
py return super(AdobeBridge, self)._wait_for_response(uid)
py File “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-wba/python/tk_framework_adobe/rpc/communicator.py”, line 644, in _wait_for_response
py self.wait(single_loop=True, process_events=False)
py File “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-wba/python/tk_framework_adobe/rpc/communicator.py”, line 512, in wait
py process_events=process_events,
py File “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-wba/python/tk_framework_adobe/rpc/communicator.py”, line 228, in process_new_messages
py self._io._process_packets()
py File “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-wba/pkgs.zip/socketIO_client/init.py”, line 276, in _process_packets
py for engineIO_packet in self._transport.recv_packet():
py File “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-wba/pkgs.zip/socketIO_client/transports.py”, line 158, in recv_packet
py packet_text)
py File “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-wba/pkgs.zip/socketIO_client/parsers.py”, line 96, in parse_packet_text
py packet_type = int(get_character(packet_text, 0))
py File “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-wba/pkgs.zip/socketIO_client/symmetries.py”, line 33, in get_character
py return chr(get_byte(x, index))
py File “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-wba/pkgs.zip/socketIO_client/symmetries.py”, line 29, in get_byte
py return indexbytes(x, index)
py File “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-wba/pkgs.zip/six.py”, line 655, in indexbytes
py return ord(buf[i])
py IndexError: string index out of range
py QThread: Destroyed while thread is still running
py QThread: Destroyed while thread is still running
js Active document changed to /Volumes/DROID/XXXX/Assets/Characters/W/WeiA/Design/Publish/XXXX_WeiA_Tn_v01/XXXX_WeiA_Tn_v01.psd
js Emitting ‘active_document_changed’ message via socket.io.
js Python exited unexpectedly.
js Critical: The Shotgun integration has unexpectedly shut down. Specifically, the python process that handles the communication with Shotgun has been terminated.

3 Likes

I should add the file loads fine but the engine is crashed afterwards. Most of the time I can recover the contexts after restarting the engine.

2 Likes

Hi @CGSoup,

Thanks for the details report. Could you give us the size of the files? If you could send us a sample would be great.

Loney

3 Likes

They are all production files so I cant easily send them but the current ones were around 4-5G, regular multi-layer psd file. Does not seem to matter about the content, just the time to download/open. It seems more related to the time, not the size as I have seen this for a while when working from home before the recent pandemic caused wfh to be all the rage.

I will try to get something packaged up to test when I have a moment. Right now I need to submit a New Topic :grinning:. It’s also related to one of my current projects.

Daniel

2 Likes

Hey Daniel – is disabling the heartbeat actually working? We’ve seen disabling it causing the engine to crash: as I understand it, when the heartbeat is disabled, Toolkit thinks Photoshop is not responding, so it falls down.

I’m going to run this by an engineer that’s more familiar with this specific part of the code, but I did want to mention this bit of information in the meantime.

1 Like

Answering multiple replies here.

Sizes are large. The one I use to test is 636MB. Not sure how small is on the lower end because when it works, you work. When it crashes, you notice. To me though it more about the time, as opposed to size.

self._HEARTBEAT_DISABLED = True

No. It’s not working. That was me flailing about…

But, it fails in exactly the same way regardless of whether I set the flag, use a with heartbeat_disabled(): or none of the above, just adobe.app.load()

Actually, the error when loading through Workfiles (as opposed to my custom App) is slightly different but the gist is that it has lost communication with the engine.

We use a custom WorkFiles and PS Engine so I tested on a config using the latest greatest releases of both from GitHub. Here is the log…

2020-05-18 15:11:18,719 [37348 DEBUG sgtk.env.project.tk-photoshopcc.tk-multi-workfiles2] Opening file ‘/Volumes/DROID/XXXX/Assets/Color/FX/M/MeraWaterImpactAGlow/Publish/XXXX_MeraWaterImpactAGlow_Co_v01/XXXX_MeraWaterImpactAGlow_Co_v01.psd’ via hook
2020-05-18 15:11:18,720 [37348 DEBUG sgtk.core.platform.bundle] <Sgtk App 0x111219710: tk-multi-workfiles2, engine: <Sgtk Engine 0x1107c4850: tk-photoshopcc, env: asset_step>>: Resolved hook expression (associated with setting ‘hook_scene_operation’): ‘{config}/tk-multi-workfiles2/tk-photoshopcc/scene_operation.py’ → [‘/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-multi-workfiles2.git/v0.12.2/hooks/scene_operation_tk-photoshopcc.py’, ‘/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/hooks/tk-multi-workfiles2/tk-photoshopcc/scene_operation.py’]
2020-05-18 15:11:18,731 [37348 DEBUG sgtk.env.project.tk-photoshopcc.js] Sending context about to change from client.
2020-05-18 15:11:18,746 [37348 DEBUG sgtk.env.project.tk-photoshopcc.js] Setting commands from client: {“commands”: [{“type”: “default”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-photoshopcc-addnote.git/v0.0.8/icon_256.png”, “display_name”: “Add Note To Version…”, “description”: “Save Current Photoshop File as a Attachment to the Version associated with this Published File.”, “uid”: 17}, {“type”: “default”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-multi-addmodelsheet.git/v0.0.23/icon_256.png”, “display_name”: “Add Photoshop Model Sheet…”, “description”: “Create a Model Sheet layer in Photoshop based on current Shotgun information.”, “uid”: 15}, {“type”: “default”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-photoshopcc-bookmark.git/v0.0.9/icon_256.png”, “display_name”: “Bookmarks…”, “description”: “Bookmark Tool for Quickly Loading Published Files.”, “uid”: 21}, {“type”: “default”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-loader2/v1.19.6/resources/load_menu_icon.png”, “display_name”: “Load…”, “description”: “Locate published files and reference them into your scene.”, “uid”: 16}, {“type”: “default”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-photoshopcc-pathcontext.git/v0.1.1/icon_256.png”, “display_name”: “Set Context By Path”, “description”: “Try to set the Context using the current path.”, “uid”: 19}, {“type”: “panel”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-shotgunpanel/v1.6.4/resources/shotgun_panel_menu_icon.png”, “display_name”: “Shotgun Panel…”, “description”: “Panel UI with Shotgun information about your scene, yourself and the things around you.”, “uid”: 5}, {“type”: “default”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-snapshot/v0.7.5/resources/snapshot_history_menu_icon.png”, “display_name”: “Snapshot History…”, “description”: “This app lets you quickly take a snapshot of the scene that you are working on - essentially a quick, personal backup. You can also browse your history and restore old snapshots.”, “uid”: 23}], “context_menu_cmds”: [{“type”: “context_menu”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-photoshopcc.git/v1.8.1/resources/shotgun_logo.png”, “display_name”: “Jump to Shotgun”, “description”: “Open the current context in a web browser.”, “uid”: 1}, {“type”: “context_menu”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-photoshopcc.git/v1.8.1/resources/shotgun_folder.png”, “display_name”: “Jump to File System”, “description”: “Open the current context in a file browser.”, “uid”: 2}, {“type”: “context_menu”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-screeningroom/v0.3.4/icon_256.png”, “display_name”: “Jump to Screening Room Web Player”, “description”: “Screening Room integration right inside your application.”, “uid”: 4}, {“type”: “context_menu”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-screeningroom/v0.3.4/icon_256.png”, “display_name”: “Jump to Screening Room in RV”, “description”: “Screening Room integration right inside your application.”, “uid”: 3}, {“type”: “context_menu”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-pythonconsole/v1.2.2/icon_256.png”, “display_name”: “Shotgun Python Console…”, “description”: “A Python console for Shotgun Toolkit”, “uid”: 24}, {“type”: “context_menu”, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-about/v0.3.0/icon_256.png”, “display_name”: “Work Area Info…”, “description”: “Shows a breakdown of your current environment and configuration.”, “uid”: 11}], “favorites”: [{“display_name”: “Task Buddy…”, “description”: “Task Information and Tools for Quickly Loading Files.”, “fav_index”: 0, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-multi-taskbuddy.git/v0.0.18/icon_256.png”, “type”: “default”, “uid”: 20}, {“display_name”: “File Open…”, “description”: “Using this app you can browse, open and save your Work Files and Publishes.”, “fav_index”: 1, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-multi-workfiles2.git/v0.12.2/resources/file_open_menu_icon.png”, “type”: “default”, “uid”: 7}, {“display_name”: “Snapshot…”, “description”: “This app lets you quickly take a snapshot of the scene that you are working on - essentially a quick, personal backup. You can also browse your history and restore old snapshots.”, “fav_index”: 2, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-snapshot/v0.7.5/resources/snapshot_menu_icon.png”, “type”: “default”, “uid”: 22}, {“display_name”: “File Save…”, “description”: “Using this app you can browse, open and save your Work Files and Publishes.”, “fav_index”: 3, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-multi-workfiles2.git/v0.12.2/resources/file_save_menu_icon.png”, “type”: “default”, “uid”: 8}, {“display_name”: “Publish…”, “description”: “Publishing of data to Shotgun”, “fav_index”: 4, “icon_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/bundle_cache/app_store/tk-multi-publish2/v2.4.1/icon_256_dark.png”, “type”: “default”, “uid”: 18}]}
2020-05-18 15:17:34,356 [37348 DEBUG sgtk.env.project.tk-photoshopcc] Worker signal: {‘sg’: {‘due_date’: None, ‘tag_list’: , ‘image’: ‘https://sg-media-usor-01.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com/c9c1dde76a2fe15e05e7e63101ff1cc5b02c2e30/3d6f5be2bed68d57d4ded4788d3b0ea96b02dd84/RackMultipart20200515-27740-1rp2tni_t.jpg?response-content-disposition=filename%3D"RackMultipart20200515-27740-1rp2tni_t.jpg"&x-amz-meta-user-id=42&x-amz-meta-user-type=HumanUser&X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAYJG6Z4JIW4LDLVRF%2F20200518%2Fus-west-2%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20200518T221119Z&X-Amz-Expires=900&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature=c54d8c380d017f3ecc4094703ac31b881255bfc77e68155f29d3e857ac51b26c’, ‘entity’: {‘type’: ‘Asset’, ‘id’: 289533, ‘name’: ‘MeraWaterImpactAGlow’}, ‘project’: {‘type’: ‘Project’, ‘id’: 369, ‘name’: ‘XXXXman’}, ‘step’: {‘type’: ‘Step’, ‘id’: 107, ‘name’: ‘Color’}, ‘sg_status_list’: ‘ip’, ‘task_assignees’: , ‘content’: ‘Color’, ‘type’: ‘Task’, ‘id’: 2178595}}
2020-05-18 15:17:34,374 [37348 DEBUG sgtk.core.platform.bundle] <Sgtk Engine 0x1107c4850: tk-photoshopcc, env: asset_step>: Resolved hook expression (associated with setting ‘context_fields_display_hook’): ‘{self}/context_fields_display.py’ → [‘/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-photoshopcc.git/v1.8.1/hooks/context_fields_display.py’]
2020-05-18 15:17:34,375 [37348 DEBUG sgtk.env.project.tk-photoshopcc] Sending context display.
2020-05-18 15:17:34,378 [37348 DEBUG sgtk.env.project.tk-photoshopcc] Worker signal: {‘thumb_path’: ‘/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/xxx/site/fw-shotgunutils/thumbs/db/aa/7e91e881724177262e2b4d009e7d.jpg’, ‘image’: None}
2020-05-18 15:17:34,378 [37348 DEBUG sgtk.env.project.tk-photoshopcc] Sending context thumb path: {“thumb_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/xxx/site/fw-shotgunutils/thumbs/db/aa/7e91e881724177262e2b4d009e7d.jpg”, “url”: “https://www.shotgunstudio.com/detail/Task/2178595”, “image”: null}
2020-05-18 15:17:34,675 [37348 INFO sgtk.env.project.tk-photoshopcc.js] Connection received!
2020-05-18 15:17:34,675 [37348 DEBUG sgtk.env.project.tk-photoshopcc.js] Setting context display from client.
2020-05-18 15:17:34,676 [37348 DEBUG sgtk.env.project.tk-photoshopcc.js] Setting context thumbnail from client: {“thumb_path”: “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/xxx/site/fw-shotgunutils/thumbs/db/aa/7e91e881724177262e2b4d009e7d.jpg”, “url”: “https://www.shotgunstudio.com/detail/Task/2178595”, “image”: null}
2020-05-18 15:17:35,974 [37348 ERROR sgtk.env.project.tk-photoshopcc.tk-multi-workfiles2] Failed to open file /Volumes/DROID/XXXX/Assets/Color/FX/M/MeraWaterImpactAGlow/Publish/XXXX_MeraWaterImpactAGlow_Co_v01/XXXX_MeraWaterImpactAGlow_Co_v01.psd!
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-multi-workfiles2.git/v0.12.2/python/tk_multi_workfiles/actions/open_file_action.py”, line 151, in _do_copy_and_open
self._app, OPEN_FILE_ACTION, new_ctx, dst_path, version, read_only
File “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-multi-workfiles2.git/v0.12.2/python/tk_multi_workfiles/scene_operation.py”, line 149, in open_file
result_types=(bool, type(None)),
File “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-multi-workfiles2.git/v0.12.2/python/tk_multi_workfiles/scene_operation.py”, line 68, in _do_scene_operation
read_only=read_only,
File “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/xxx/p369c314.basic.adobe/cfg/install/core/python/tank/platform/bundle.py”, line 582, in execute_hook
resolved_hook_paths, self, None, base_class=base_class, **kwargs
File “/Users/danieleaton/Library/Caches/Shotgun/xxx/p369c314.basic.adobe/cfg/install/core/python/tank/hook.py”, line 631, in execute_hook_method
ret_val = hook_method(**kwargs)
File “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/hooks/tk-multi-workfiles2/tk-photoshopcc/scene_operation.py”, line 67, in execute
adobe.app.load(adobe.File(file_path))
File “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-xxx/python/tk_framework_adobe/rpc/proxy.py”, line 185, in call
parent=self._parent,
File “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-xxx/python/tk_framework_adobe/rpc/communicator.py”, line 283, in rpc_call
wrapper_class=ProxyWrapper,
File “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-xxx/python/tk_framework_adobe/rpc/communicator.py”, line 712, in __run_rpc_command
results = self._wait_for_response(payload[“id”])
File “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-xxx/python/tk_framework_adobe/adobe_bridge.py”, line 45, in wrapper
result = func(*args, **kwargs)
File “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-xxx/python/tk_framework_adobe/adobe_bridge.py”, line 422, in _wait_for_response
return super(AdobeBridge, self)._wait_for_response(uid)
File “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-xxx/python/tk_framework_adobe/rpc/communicator.py”, line 644, in _wait_for_response
self.wait(single_loop=True, process_events=False)
File “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-xxx/python/tk_framework_adobe/rpc/communicator.py”, line 512, in wait
process_events=process_events,
File “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-xxx/python/tk_framework_adobe/rpc/communicator.py”, line 228, in process_new_messages
self._io._process_packets()
File “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-xxx/pkgs.zip/socketIO_client/init.py”, line 276, in _process_packets
for engineIO_packet in self._transport.recv_packet():
File “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-xxx/pkgs.zip/socketIO_client/transports.py”, line 158, in recv_packet
packet_text)
File “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-xxx/pkgs.zip/socketIO_client/parsers.py”, line 96, in parse_packet_text
packet_type = int(get_character(packet_text, 0))
File “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-xxx/pkgs.zip/socketIO_client/symmetries.py”, line 33, in get_character
return chr(get_byte(x, index))
File “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-xxx/pkgs.zip/socketIO_client/symmetries.py”, line 29, in get_byte
return indexbytes(x, index)
File “/Users/danieleaton/Developer/github_clones/master/tk-config-xxx-v0.7.8-2d/bundle_cache/git/tk-framework-adobe.git/v1.0.4-xxx/pkgs.zip/six.py”, line 655, in indexbytes
return ord(buf[i])
IndexError: string index out of range

1 Like

Let me clarify about the file sizes.

At work, on the local network, it seems that files above 3.5G or so cause the crash.

WFH via VPN makes this much worse and the max is around 500MB. This is why I postulate this is a time related issue, not necessarily a size issue. Every now and again one of these big files will open fine without crashing the engine, and it’s always seems to be because the file loaded much more quickly than usual. Sometimes our connectivity speeds spike! :wink:

Please let me know if there is anything in terms of testing or more detail that I can provide.

Daniel

1 Like

Hi @CGSoup – I just wanted to let you know that we’ve put in an internal bug ticket for this one, so it’s in the hands of the engineering team. Our first step will be to reproduce the issue, and then figure out how to address it from there. I’ve linked this post to the internal ticket, so we’ll be notified when it’s resolved, and will notify you in turn.

So sorry you’re experiencing this – we really hate it when our tools cause crashes in other software.

2 Likes

Good morning,

Wondering if there was any movement internally on this issue. It is still causing us daily headaches, especially over VPN.

Daniel

Hey all,

We’ve also been having this issue, and I wonder if there’s been any progress tracking down the issue.

Let me know

I upped the SHOTGUN_ADOBE_RESPONSE_TIMEOUT from 300 (5 minutes) to 900 (15 minutes) here…

That seemed to help a lot. Best I could tell it was just plain giving up after 5 minutes.
Still wondering why I did not raise it even higher…

Daniel

1 Like