Adding an action item to admin menu

Hi all,

is it possible to add a custom AMI to the admin menu?
The UI doesn’t seem to offer an option but maybe this can be done via the python api?

Cheers,
frank

2 Likes

Hey Frank,
No way to customise the Admin menu, I’m sorry, even via the API. Out of interest, what’s the use-case here?
Cheers,

Mason.

2 Likes

Hi Mason,

I am using a local cache (pickled python dictionary) that holds a lot of commonly used Shotgun values, e.g. shot tree for all active shows along with other show data that is frequently used. This speeds up some internal tools as I read the local cache in real time instead of doing a live query to Shotgun.
The cache is updated via the Shotgun event daemon. Unfortunately the daemon stalls every now and then. In such cases I run the python script that updates the cache manually so people see the expected data while I work on restarting the daemon.

This doesn’t happen very often, but for sanity I thought it would be nice to have an option to update the cache manually in the admin menu, rather than having to open a python interpreter to run the script.

No big deal, just thought I’d ask.

Cheers,
frank

1 Like

Hey Frank,

One option might be to attach the AMI to the Project entity. That makes it available from the “Project Actions” menu, which is just below the Admin menu:

This would be easily accessible so long as you’re on any Project page.

2 Likes

Thanks Brandon,

that was indeed my plan B.

Cheers,
frank

2 Likes