Updating SC fails on Centos 7

I just tried downloading an update from inside of SC. The download works fine but when I click “install update” It errors with this:

>  [ UPDATES ] Starting update process.
> # Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildSignaled: Process /usr/libexec/gnome-terminal-server received signal 5
>  [ UPDATES ] Failed to launch the update

As mentioned in the subject line, this is on Centos 7.

Cheers,
frank

2 Likes

Hi @frank,

Can you tell me what is the user being used in your graphical session ( when you logged in with the Desktop Manager UI ) and if you use the same user to start the app? (I know there’s issues when using the root user in one of the two cases)

Looking at you issue, it might be an issue with gnome-terminal ( we use it to start the update mechanism ). Can you try to open a terminal and type “sudo gnome-terminal” to see if it works? If it fail, you might want to try to update it to the last version by doing a “sudo yum update gnome-terminal”.

Waiting for your answer,
Kerby

2 Likes

Hi @geffrak, thanks for the pointers.
I tried to launch SC as the regular (non-super) user.
I tried updating gnome-terminal but it said “no packages marked for update”.
Trying to launch gnome-terminal as sudo fails:

No packages marked for update
[frank@spiff Downloads]$ sudo gnome-terminal
# Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildSignaled: Process /usr/libexec/gnome-terminal-server received signal 5

I am using KDE not gnome, which may be the reason for this?

Cheers,
frank

1 Like

Hey hi @frank,

Can you share the content of the /etc/locale.conf file from the workstation with the issue? Not being able to launch gnome-terminal from sudo is not good and forums seems to point to bad locale settings for the root user.

I can understand that the issue is bad and I really don’t want it to break your updates. While we are troubleshooting this issue, you can find the path to the update payload (as a rpm file) in the logs slightly before the error (everything related to the update mechanism is between [ Updates ]) and you can apply the update using the rpm -Uvh command as an elevated user.

Also, FYI, since the last release, if the automatic update site settings from Shotgun is enabled, Shotgun Create will try to update using a different procedure that doesn’t depend on having to start gnome-terminal to pre-type the update command.

1 Like

Hi @geffrak, the contents of the /etc/locale.conf are this:

LANG=“en_US.UTF-8”

I am in no rush with this as I am just testing SC on the side to see if I want to unleash it on the rest of the team.
If this issue goes away with the latest update I am happy to manually update this one and never look back :smiley:

Cheers,
frank

Hello,

If you want the have the auto-update enabled, you can go into the Manage Apps page. From the Shotgun Create gear menu, you can activate it in the overview page.

Thanks!

1 Like

I just found that option a minute ago. I will re-install SC now and turn that one, see how we go…

Thanks,
frank

@geffrak, I just tried manually updating SC via rpm and got an error in the clean up stage:

[frank@spiff Dev]$ sudo rpm -Uvh /tmp/ShotgunCreate-2019.08.061-Linux-Release.rpm
Preparing… ################################# [100%]
Updating / installing…
1:ShotgunCreate-2019.08.061-120 ################################# [ 33%]
The /usr/local/bin/ShotgunCreate symlink have been created.
Shotgun Create is now installed inside of the /opt/Autodesk/ShotgunCreate folder.
/opt/Autodesk/ShotgunCreate/bin/ShotgunCreate is the main executable.

Cleaning up / removing…
2:ShotgunCreate-2019.08.031-89 ################################# [ 67%]
find: ‘/usr/lib/Autodesk/Tempest/ShotgunCreateBeta/’: No such file or directory
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.zCe0Q4: line 6: -clean: command not found
touch: cannot touch ‘/tmp/Tempest/ShotgunCreateBeta/setup’: No such file or directory
touch: cannot touch ‘/tmp/Tempest/ShotgunCreateBeta/action’: No such file or directory
touch: cannot touch ‘/tmp/Tempest/ShotgunCreateBeta/ShotgunCreateBeta.tar.gz’: No such file or directory
error: %preun(ShotgunCreateBeta-1.5.21.0-1.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
error: ShotgunCreateBeta-1.5.21.0-1.x86_64: erase failed

Just after the message

/opt/Autodesk/ShotgunCreate/bin/ShotgunCreate is the main executable.

The Dolphin file browser popped up with a percent sign in the file path bar. The same had actually happened when I installed SC for the first time. Not sure what that is about?!

Cheers,
frank

Hi @frank,

Is this making the installation fail or it’s just error messages?

Kerby

It seems to have installed ok, seeing this was just the cleanup stage.

2 Likes

Great,

Having your Dolphin file brower that open is the result of running…

xdg-open /opt/Autodesk/ShotgunCreate &>/dev/null

The goal is to open this folder using your default file explorer. Is the new Dolphin window is located at the ShotgunCreate installation folder?

1 Like

Looks like some formatting is not working right in the post install script and the unformatted string is passed onto the system’s file browser: