Sort Order in Graph Widgets

Hello!

I found this image in https://support.shotgunsoftware.com/hc/en-us/articles/221226907-Graph-widget

But I’m unable to find this option within the widget. For the sake of easy reporting, I’ll need to sort the tasks by sort order.

Has this feature been omitted, or am I missing it?

Thanks,

-Phil F

4 Likes

Hi @PhilFranjo,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, it looks like we need to update our documentation imagery for this page. :construction:

The same functionality can still be found in the graph widget in Design Page Mode, and then clicking the Edit option at the top right of the graph. Once here, you can change your graph setup and filters:

Hopefully that gets you where you need to go!

Cheers,
Beth

5 Likes

Update: I’ve made a change to the documentation so the image is now correct to the existing UI :raised_hands: - thanks again for the heads up @PhilFranjo!

4 Likes

Thanks!

But is there any way to have this same functionality when sorting tasks? It seems to only work when graphing by pipeline step.

-Phil F

2 Likes

Tasks don’t have the same sort order option available as Pipeline Steps where it respects the pipeline workflow order. If you Graph by Task Name the only options available for sort order are alphabetically or by value.

One option would be to "Graph by Pipeline Step" and "Sort by Order" as in the example above, and then you could "Group by Task Name" which allows you to see the breakdown of each Task within the Pipeline Step bar.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Cheers,
Beth

1 Like

Hello, my intention for the graph is to graph Tasks and group by Status.
Seems whichever approach I take, it isn’t possible. Unless I categorize each task by pipeline step individually, the graph will be out of order. This seems like a limitation as is, not sure if there’s any way around it.

Thanks,

-Phil F

1 Like

Hi @PhilFranjo,

You can “Graph by Pipeline Step”, “Sort by Order” and “Group by Status” but that will be combining all Tasks of that Pipeline Step together, and you will see the Status breakdown of that Pipeline Step and not the individual Task Name “group”. This will retain the “order” of your workflow in the display of the graph. So you are correct, unless you have only one Task Name associated with one Pipeline Step, this won’t quite get you where you want, but I would say workflow wise, this is the type of graph clients would use to see a Task Status breakdown. (If anyone has other options, feel free to add your method!)

If you “Graph by Task Name” and “Group by Status”, you lose the option of retaining the workflow order that you get when you “Graph by Pipeline Step” - it is indeed a limitation of graphing by the name.

Head on over to this post to let our Product team know this is something that you would like and perhaps one day, you can see it come to life! The best product ideas are the ones that are accompanied by reasons why/how it would be useful to your production or project.

Cheers,
Beth

1 Like