RV Silent Install query and RV 7.5.1 msi query?

I’m looking at deploying RV 7.5.1 to about 150 windows pcs. However, I hope to do automate this via SCCM and I want to install it silently so the end-user does not need to do anything.

Are there any flags for silent install such as /S for exe files or /q for msi files?

I’m currently using an exe installer file that I got off your website download section. I can deploy it via SCCM however it requires users input as it does not have a silent install flag that I know of.

Is there an msi installer file for 7.5.1 version of RV with a silent install flag or is there a silent install flag for the exe installer file

2 Likes

Hey Peter,

Thank you for posting in the forums!

Unfortunately we don’t have silent flags for the .exe installer.

However, if you’re looking to install across multiple machines, you can use the Windows 64 Bit (No Installer) which is a zip of all the RV files. You can get the .zip installer here.

You can copy that folder to any machine without having to go through the installer steps. One thing to watch out though, you’ll need to modify the registry files that come with it, in order to set up file extension recognition and rvlink protocol handler. You’ll also need to either have a script to set up the desktop shortcuts to the RV executable or do that manually.

RV launcher is under RV_ZIP_LOCATION/bin/rv.exe Registry files are located in RV_ZIP_LOCATION/etc/. There are a number of .reg files there. You’ll need to open them in an editor and change the location of the RV install, then double click to install the files or do it silently via reg import foo.reg. Take a look at the README.regfiles for more info on what each reg file does.

Let us know if this helps!

– Alexa

2 Likes

Hi Alexa,

I found an msi file within the exe file for rv install which allows silent install with /q . It seems the exe file just calls the msi file within it. So thanks for the input but the rv msi installer has the silent install flag.

Thanks
Peter

3 Likes

Oh perfect! I didn’t know that. Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Where did you located the MSI installer within the EXE? I am trying to script out the install through SCCM but want to use the silent installer and potentially pass a license server path as well.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Tim, a little late here, but RV 7.8.0 now ships with an msi installer. Checkout ShotGrid | RV to grab it.

2 Likes

The MSI seems to give an error when trying to deploy it as a Line-of-Business package in Endpoint Manager (Intune). It shows as the file not having an App ID. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is there a fix for this?

1 Like

Hi in terms of msi the way I got is if you run the exe but don’t do any of the next steps apart from run go to temp you should see it has extracted a msi file there but seeing as shotgun have now have msi installer without doing this you should use it instead this was just to explain for older version of rv msi install. rv licence

1 Like

Hi,

Could you give an example command of how to install RV 2021 silently on Windows with the msi installer? I can’t make it work.

Thanks