Published file path

I’m looking to try to automate some of my workflow. We’re using toolkit so I am publishing our project files as we go(After Effects) as well as the preview files. I’m not quite up to the Shotgun back end yet but trying to learn. In the meantime I was going to try to export a CSV or other piece of data to then feed into an AE script to handle some steps. However, I can’t seem to locate where the path to the published work file is in Shotgun. I’ve looked all around in the Tasks but can only find paths to movie files.

3 Likes

Hi,

If you click on “Published Files” in a project you will see all published files:

If you want to see them from a Task page, you can go in to Design Mode and add a new tab with the type set to Published Files like this:

new_pub_file

Is that what you were looking for?

/Jonas

4 Likes

Yes, that’s helpful. Is there any way to query the latest version published for certain file types and have that show up in the Shots page?

1 Like

You could add a custom field to the Shot entity and have that display the latest publish, something like this:

4 Likes

I think I got it working. One last question hopefully. In the tooltip it show the full path. But when I export to CSV or show the other Path options I can’t get it to show anything but the path starting with the SG project. Am I doing something wrong in my settings?

1 Like

Hi Byron

I think this is because the path is dynamically built. It takes the storage root and combines it with the relative path to make the full path in the Tooltip. I think this requires the Desktop browser integration for this to work. For example, if you close SG Desktop then it won’t be able to resolve the path in the tooltip.
I don’t know the export functionality all that well, but I would assume it doesn’t interface with the browser integration when exporting.
I will check with our team though.

Best
Phil

2 Likes

Is there a way to take the result of this field and use it in another Calculated field?

1 Like

No unfortunately not. I think the best thing you could do is use the event daemon to extract the paths and bake them into a separate field.

I’ll put a suggestion into our product team on your behalf though, so that the exporter would handle exporting full paths rather than just relative ones.

3 Likes

I have a calculated field on publishes setup up as concat("z:/", {path_cache})

If you only have one root that should work.

1 Like

OK, I’ll have to look up how to use the Event Daemon.

1 Like

@jhultgre I don’t have {path_cache}. Is that something custom you made?

1 Like

There should be a Path Cache (path_cache) field on the PublishedFile entity by default. It contains a baked version of the path that is relative to the root. Joe’s suggestion is a good one, if you only need to do this for PublishedFile entities on one root, and one OS.

1 Like

I added the Published File <-> Link field but it doesn’t want to allow me to add that to the calculated field. What you see on this screenshot is the available fields for the calculated column. I could get away with just doing this for Windows, yes.

1 Like