Multiple Schedules in one project

I’d like to propose different schedules for the same project. The ‘save page as’ does not work - it just overrides my original schedule. How do I save multiple schedule pages?

1 Like

Any Task can have only 1 Start Date/Due Date.
I’m not clear how you could have multiple schedules for the same Tasks.
Do you mean a different view?

hey schicky. not a different view per say. It would be moving the start/due dates.
I’d like to show one schedule where, say, ‘task one’ starts on 1/9/23 - then save that schedule. then have another schedule (same project, same ‘task one’) that shows it starting 2/9/23 - and I can toggle between the two schedules or pages. to show the difference. (bigger picture , it would be showing two different schedules for the same project - for discussion)

1 Like

The only way that I can think to do this is to have duplicate sets of tasks with different due dates and then use a filter to toggle back and forth. You could manually create the duplicate tasks: (task one-Scenario A, task one-Scenario B, task two-Scenario A, Task two-Scenario B, etc). Or, to do it quickly, just create a different task template for each scenario. Task template A would have all the dates for A. Task template B would have all the dates for B. Filter by task template on the tasks entity and you could easily toggle back and forth. Once you’ve decided on your schedule, you can delete all the rejected tasks.

In our ShotGrid site, we also wanted this capability.

Our solution was to create a new project entity called TaskSchedule. We use TaskSchedule entities with higher level Tasks related to project phases, artist bookings, and milestones. This allows us to generate multiple TaskSchedules per project while not getting overly detail oriented during our initial planning. I would probably choose a different name for the Entity if I were to set this up again, but the concept would be the same. You can then filter the Schedule / Tasks list view showing only Tasks related to TaskSchedules for planning.

1 Like

@Dan_Bradham I’ve been playing around with something like this. I’m curious- for the TaskSchedule entity, did you set it up as a project entity or a non-project entity? When I played around with it, I set it up as a project entity, but then I couldn’t universally link the tasks on the task template. It would have required unique task templates for each project. I’m thinking that if I set it up as a non-project entity, I could link the tasks on the task template and then use filters to look at project-by-project schedules/reports

Hey pen - that’s a good work around , should of thought of that. I was going to go as far as just making multiple ‘projects’ just to have multiple tabs with different schedules.

Hey Dan - thanks for this. When you create a ‘new project entity’ - is that the ‘custom entity’ under site preferences?

Yeah you could use a non-project entity if you also want the ability to compare schedules across jobs.

Yeah @claudia, that’s right it’s in site preferences.

I shall give it a go. thanks @Dan_Bradham @pen

do you by chance know . . I was also playing with the idea of this ‘save as template’ - thinking it would capture this schedule I created - then creating a new project (just for the sake of knowing I can have another schedule) and bringing this template in , and modify. But I can’t figure out how to bring in the ‘saved template’

That button saves the entire Project as a template.

What you can do is save the Tasks under an Entity like a TaskSchedule, Sequence, Shot, or Asset as a Task Template. Then you can create a new Entity using the Task Templates you saved.

You can find more details on Task Templates here Using Task Templates | ShotGrid | Autodesk Knowledge Network

D’oh! that makes sense. Thank you @Dan_Bradham !

Interesting…! how do you go about showing the gantt view for these TaskSchedule entities when flipping between the various scenarios? what other scripts/event handling is required to get this entity usable by your prod teams?

The gantt view is only available on Tasks. So if you’ve got a tasks schedule entity, you need to enable tasks on that entity and then attach tasks (ether manually or with a task template). You could just have one record: Schedule A and then attach a bunch of tasks/due dates for schedule A. Or, you could have multiple records: Schedule A > all the tasks for schedule A. Schedule B > all the tasks for schedule B, etc. No scripts needed. You just have the admin set up the entity and enable tasks.

Then you look at all the tasks (in the task table), filter by the ones attached to the Task Schedule entity and then you can group or filter them however you like.