Multiple Fileservers

Hi

Im setting up the pipeline for a bunch of Episodes, we have certain episodes stored on different file server mounts for example:

/mnt/fs1

/mnt/fs2

The Episode is at the root of the Volume, within the pipeline I would like to be able to reference each episode/scene/shot without having to put them all under a single project folder.

Does anyone have any pointers on how I can achieve this?

Thanks

Dan.

2 Likes

Hi @Daniel_Marshall,

Welcome to the forums! I do believe that this is possible, likely it would be a 2 step process, however I donā€™t quite know the details of the second step, Iā€™ll need to ask one of my colleagues to chime in there.

The first step would be to set up your config with a second root, (a multi-root config) we have a doc on our developer site with a setup workflow here

As for the second step, as this is having different roots for a single entity rather than different entities, we need to modify episodes in a way that enables them to be recognised as either primary or secondary. As noted above Iā€™m a bit scant on details here, but Iā€™ll get back to you when I find out more.

-David

1 Like

Hi David

Thanks for this, I had a look through that article.

Im thinking I may be able to couple this with a custom field which defines which ā€˜blockā€™ an episode is stored on, so the query syntax would know which block and adjust the root to matchā€¦ how that
works in practice im not sureā€¦ but ill have a play round.

Cheers

Dan.

2 Likes

Great stuff, let us know how you get on if you solve before I have a chance to get back to you!

1 Like

Hi David

OK so I got it splitting the data between volumesā€¦ couple of bits im stuck on:

• I can only create objects of type ā€˜projectā€™ in the root of a folder, at the moment the root of block1 is my episodeā€¦ ideally id like to keep
    it this way if possible.

• I need to understand how I can scope the filters better if you have any pointers. Ultimately I think I need to scope the filter so that it
    can take a range of valuesā€¦ i.e Episode 101, 102, 103 -> Block1, Episode 104,105,106, Block2

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks

Daniel.

1 Like

Hi @Daniel_Marshall,

Sorry for the long reply delay, I wasnā€™t 100% on the response I received and easter holidays happened :slight_smile:

Unfortunately itā€™s a limitation of tk that your schema needs to start with a project folder but we thought of a way to accomplish this;

There is one possible caveat: are the mounts represented the same way on all OSes/do you intend on using this in windows and OSX?

-David

1 Like

Hi David

Ok thatā€™s no worries thanks for coming back to me, I was expecting that to be the case, its not many times people would ever want to create everything outside of a project.

Actually changing the mountpoint probably wont be an issue, we would just end up with:

/mnt/<Project_Name>/block1

Ive made a custom field within Shotgun at the Episode level called ā€œsg_block_storage_locationā€ and then just give that values such as ā€œblock1ā€, ā€œblock2ā€ etc, I then pull that into the episode template
with { sg_block_storage_location}/{code} and that gives me something like ā€œblock1/404ā€ which I think was what you was meaning below and works for me, never thought of doing it that way round.

The filesystem in use is AWS FSx for Linux, so you cant map any windows clients to itā€¦ Ultimately though they would all see the root mountpoint the same anyways, so not sure if that would be an issue.

Just one thing I wanted to confirmā€¦ Im sure this is a NO, but Does Shotgun overwrite any existing folders with the same name when doing folder creation? Obviously ive a whole lot of pre-existing
paths which are on those block1 devices and I donā€™t really want to erase everything.

Thanks

Dan,

1 Like

Hey @Daniel_Marshall,

Toolkit never deletes or overwrites anything on your filesystem so you are good there, it will check the filesystem and create a filesystem location entity in SG, but you can run create_folders as much as you want, it wonā€™t overwrite or delete.

-David

1 Like