How to change edit permissions of fields on Person page

Hello everyone,

Please guide me, as an Admin, how can I configure/change permissions on ‘People’ page on specific Fields/Columns to allow other Users to update/change the field value.
As currently, the edit Permissions (on respective Field/Column) for specific Users (Permission Group like Artist, Manager) is showing disabled checkboxes with string (Custom).

In above screenshot, although for few Users (Leads, Manager, Production, Supervisors), it is marked as ticked in the check boxes, but the respective Users are unable to update/change the value for the respective field (in this case, the projects field).

Thanks

Kind regards

Its likely that the permissions for that entity are set on the entity itself which may overrule the field permissions.
Have a look at the global Permissions - People page.

Thanks for your reply Ricardo :slight_smile:

As you guided, I checked the Manager (Permission Group) in the Permissions - People page and checked the respective Entity Permissions (eg: Projects) and found out that the Edit permissions is checked (ticked) but its disabled.
Am I checking at the correct location ? Please guide further.

Ah sorry I looked at how this works for my own sites and seems only Admins have permissions to add someone to a Project (or remove them).

What we did is to dupliacte the admin permission, called it “Production” and changed the settings and locked it down as we liked.

Ok. The provided approach requires knowledge of all the settings in order to tweak them as per requirements.
The same issue exists in the People page as well; wherein when a new field is created, the edit permissions are disabled with a text called (Custom) shown besides respective Permission Groups (i.e. for the other non-Admin like Manager, Artist).
Are you facing same problem in People’s page as well ?

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by that?

ShotGrid comes out of the box with a few Permission groups.

Admin - has permission for everything

Manager - Does not have permission for everthing and has conditional permissions applied for some fields/entities

Artist - Has conditional permission applied, for example, artists can only edit their own version and notes.

Vendor - Has very conditional permissions applied for Vendor workflows.

if you want to be in full control of permissions for a specific group, then you should duplicate the appropriate permission group, rename it and configure as per your liking.

Is it tedious? Yes.
But thats the workflow.

Sure, I will explain :slight_smile:

The same issue exists in the People page as well; wherein when a new field is created, the edit permissions are disabled with a text called (Custom) shown besides respective Permission Groups (i.e. for the other non-Admin like Manager, Artist).
---
I’m not sure what you mean by that?

For fields, we can update the permissions to allow specific Permission Groups to allow updating the respective field.
But in People’s page, ShotGrid does not allow me (Admin) to allow non-Admin users (Permission Groups) to update the fields as they are disabled when I try to configure the permissions for fields by Right-Mouse-Button click the field name, then select “Configure Field…” and choose the “Permissions” tab. (The output is similar to the 1st screenshot I’ve shared in this thread, although it is of Projects page, but the issue is the same.).

if you want to be in full control of permissions for a specific group, then you should duplicate the appropriate permission group, rename it and configure as per your liking.

Is it tedious? Yes.
But thats the workflow.

Yes, it is tedious :slightly_frowning_face: and also difficult to find out where to set the respective permissions as per requirement, like to allow/permit edit permissions on a new field in the People page is restricted/disabled for non-Admins. I was looking for answer as to how and where I can change the setting to allow non-Admins to update this new field.

Certain standard permission groups have conditional permissions, these cannot be changed by you as admin but only by Sg Support.

However the recommended way forward would be to duplicate the admin permission group, rename that (for example to “Production”) and edit the permissions how you like.
The admin group does not have conditional permissions so you will be able to set permissions for that group from the respective views, i.e. on the projects page or people page via configure field.

Thanks @Ricardo_Musch for your guidance :hugs:

1 Like