Export project templates to a different SG site?

We are currently running two SG sites, an old legacy one and our newer one; we’re trying to transition off the old one as quickly as we can, but still have to use it for some things.

We’d like to use one of the projects off the old site as a template for a new one, but would need a way to export that project as a template that could be imported into the new site.

I see on the support site that this was discussed back in 2015 but don’t see that anything ever happened with it - is this something that can be done?

Thanks!

6 Likes

Hi @sean.murphy,

Thanks for the query! As it stands, the Shotgun Support team is able to do a complete site copy from one site to another, but we can’t break it down into parts, such as an individual project copy. This full site copy will overwrite any existing data/media/settings/preferences on the “receiving” site.

If you want a single Project copied over, you would have to manually recreate the Project template on the new site. Once that Project is recreated, you can export data from the old Project/site and import it into the new Project/site.

There have been internal discussions about the ability to copy individual projects between sites, but nothing has been scheduled at this time.

Cheers,
Beth

6 Likes

Hi @Beth , I’m interested in copying one project from one site to another, including videos, comments, notes, everything.
When you said export data and import data, is there a specific tool for this?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @macbeth,

You can use the entity exporter/importer which is accessible on each entity’s page under the “More” menu (IE: Shots, Assets, Notes, Versions pages, etc)

First I would recommend setting up your new project to match the desired project template if they are cross-site. As I mentioned, this is a bit of a manual process. Once you have your pages/fields/statuses set up, you can import your data.

After your pages are made, you go to the site where you would like to export your data from. On each entity page, open up your filters to capture all relevant entity data (this may be “Clear All Filters” on the filter panel so you capture everything). Then you reveal all field columns for any relevant data that you would like to export. Make sure you have your page results in the bottom right set to the lowest number for quicker page loading. Once the page reflects the data you want to export, you go to the “More” dropdown menu on the page and select Export all (entity) to Excel (CSV).

That will spit out a spreadsheet that you can then take to your new site’s project, go to the matching entity page, and then select "More > Import (entity)". Then it walks you through how to do that.

Do this for each active entity page on your projects. It’s time consuming, yes, but will get you where you need to go.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Cheers,
Beth

2 Likes

Nice! Thanks a lot for your help, does this method will export import videos ?
Or any github python project from the community that I can tweak and achieve this?

Thanks.!

2 Likes

@macbeth - my pleasure! This method will not transfer Media over. Let me look into whether or not the team has any scripts that might be helpful here and I will get back to you!

2 Likes

Is there any update for copying projects between sites? I have a similar situation as this post.