Console open but not displaying windows 10

Hey all wondering if anyone has seen this. I try to open the console from shotgun desktop and it open but wont display at all. I checked for the dreaded off on another monitor windows problem but its not that. I have tried moving it cascading windows etc and still nothing. I believe the window is in the correct place just not showing up. I have also tried reinstalling shotgun desktop but still no fix. In the screen shot below you can even see a faint outline of the window. Any ideas?

1 Like

Hmm that is an odd one, and not one I’ve seen before personally.

Are you getting an error showing in the logs (tk-desktop.log)?

I have that on ocassion.

Try making it active and then press Windows+left/right/up/down (try any combination a few times)

(windows+lrtb makes active windows move between monitors)

Thanks for the suggestion Ricardo sadly I had tried that already and it didn’t help. However something worked and it started showing again. Not sure what that was about or what caused it but looks fixed now. Thanks!

1 Like

Hmmm that is strange, without a solid repro it going to be difficult for us to fix.

If anyone else comes across this thread having the same issue, let us know!

Just letting you know currently having the same problem,!

Yeah having the same issues now and then.

Sometimes cascading windows (right click taskbar) helps resolve it but not always.

It’s very likely a problem that has to do with Wndows 10’s awfull messy Display scaling/handling system.

Hi @philip.scadding . I’ve recently run into this problem. I’ve tried reinstalling, but it didn’t fix the issue.

CReate a desktop shortcut to SG Desktop, kill anyt running sessions.
Open teh shortcut properties and set the run mode to “maximised”.
This will run the app maximised and should force it to your primary display.

I believe its a known issue on Windows with QT style apps.

You can also try ctrl+arrow keys to see if you can move an active app.

Thanks @Ricardo_Musch , I tried your method but no luck.

But your advice gave me a lead. Running SG Desktop as admininistrator actually made the ShotGrid Desktop console appear

However, running as an admin isn’t ideal because it directs all the cache and logs to the admin account, not the user account. So, I’m still on the hunt for a workaround.

Oh sorry, your issue was different.
I thought you meant the app itself wasn’t opening on the main display.

Have you tried clearing the whole cache to see if it helps?

Hi @Ricardo_Musch, Below is my attempt to solve this problem.

Delete this cache folder: C:\Users%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Shotgun
Reinstall all ShotGrid applications

But unfortunately none of this works…

Hmmm sounds like a user permission problem but its really weird, i havent had that problem, but, seeing your ‘run as admin’ test, is your normal user an admin (part of the admin group)?,

btw, the tk-desktop.log is showing something?