Closing a Project

Hi, what are the steps in closing a project? Who do I contact? Can it be archived?

3 Likes

Hi Adam,

Thanks for writing in, I’ll be happy to help out here.

Once your team is done working on a project, you can archive it so it is hidden from your site. To archive a project, right-click on a project and select “Archive Selected Project(s).”

Once you archive a project, the data still exists in Shotgun but gets hidden from parts of the application:

• Project is no longer visible in the Projects menu and search results
  • Records related to that project are no longer visible on Global Pages or from field auto-completion results

If you have any further questions don’t hesitate to give me a shout.

Cheers,
Andrew

1 Like

Thanks for this Andrew.

Is this the same as closing an account?

When you archive a project is the account closed?

Or is this a separate procedure?

Adam

Hi Adam,

Closing an account is actually a separate workflow to archiving projects. When you archive a project, this does not affect any of the user accounts on the site.

You can learn about how to enable / disable accounts using the document linked below

Each User is either active or disabled. Active users have access to Shotgun and are the users that you will be charged for in your monthly billing.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll be happy to help.

Cheers,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks again for this information.

So to officially close an account all I need to do is disable all users?

Thanks,

Adam

Hi Adam,

Apologies for the confusion here, I think i may have mislead you with the term “account”

When I talk about active / distabled accounts, I’m talking about individual logins that people use to access Shotgun.

If you are referring to the overall Shotgun site that you want to close down entirely, You have 2 options

• If you want to close down the entire site, you can do so from your site’s account centre. Once you log in there is an option at the bottom of the landing screen to close down the whole site. Please note that this will close the entire site and all your sites data will be deleted

• If you want to keep the site active but simply scale down how many active users you have, you minimum users you need to keep the site active is 1. So you can disable all but 1 user to keep the site running, and then when you are ready to crew back up, you simply enable or create new users

I hope that helps clarify, let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll be happy to help.

Cheers,
Andrew

1 Like

Thanks Andrew.

What’s standard for most projects when closing an account?

Do they archive a project then close the account?

Or just keep one active user to keep the site available?

Thanks,

Adam

Hi Adam,

Since Shotgun is designed to be used across multiple projects, when a project finishes, most people prefer to simply archive the project, but keep the site active.

If the studio crews down after the project, they normally enable / disable user accounts accordingly to control expenses.

But in most use-cases, Shotgun is designed to handle multiple projects concurrently, so even if there is a gap between projects, its more common that people keep a single user active, so that they don’t have to create everything from scratch for the next project.

Cheers,
Andrew

2 Likes

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your help. Can I archive the project then close it? Or does a member always have to be active?

Hi Adam,

A single user will need to be active in order for the site to remain active. Unfortunately, there is no way currently to keep a site active without having any active users.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll be happy to help.

Cheers,
Andrew

1 Like

Hi Andrew,

But if the site is archived, it is no longer active, correct?

We can only archive a site if we pay $30 a month for one single user attached?

If we don’t do that, then all we can do is close the site and lose everything, unable to re-open in the future?

Thanks,

Adam

1 Like

Thanks Andrew.

We are going to keep one user on the site for $30 a month.

Do I need to even archive the project if we are keeping one account active?

Can’t we leave the project open?

Thanks,

Adam

1 Like

Hi Adam,

I apologise for the confusions here, let me back up and try to recap.

There are 3 mains parts that makeup your Shotgun Site

1. The Shotgun site itself, that will be yourstudio.shotgunstudio.com, this holds all your project data, projects and users who need to access the site. This cannot be archived and needs to have at least 1 user to remain running
  2. Shotgun projects, those contain data for each project within your Shotgun site. Projects CAN be archived, but this simply means it hides them from search results within your site (see this article for more info on how to archive projects)
  3. The individual Shotgun users, the number of users that are set to active on the site is the number of licenses you’ll be charged for that month

In your original case, you were asking about if you could archive a project, although I think you may have been referring to the entire Shotgun site. In that case, a Shotgun site needs at least one user to remain active, there is no way to keep the site alive without any users.

I think I may have caused confusion here by introducing the concept of archiving individual projects (within your Shotgun site), but like I said this process is simply used as a way to tidy up individual projects when you complete them (it does NOT affect the status of the entire Shotgun site).

To your last point, as long as you have 1 user active, you DO NOT need to archive individual projects. Archiving individual Shotgun projects is not a requirement, its simply a way to keep things tidy.

I hope that helps clarify, let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll be happy to help.

Cheers,
Andrew

1 Like

Thank you Andrew. Makes sense now. Appreciate it. Happy 2020.

1 Like

Fantastic, thanks for bearing with us on that :slight_smile: Happy 2020 to you too!

Cheers,
Andrew

1 Like