Asset Project Connections

Hey @Noel !

Thanks for replying with your experience, nice to see how other people are operating within these parameters.

What you’ve ended up doing sounds similar to where I landed in the end; a necessary ‘good enough’ case.

Our process is basically now:

1. Supes, as a show is In Progress, use the ‘Linked Project’ field on the Asset level to link a Show’s asset to the Asset Library.

2. I have a shared/global page looking just at Assets where the Linked Project is the Asset Lib

• This is a workaround for the fact that, despite there being cross-project linking, you can’t seem to just grab a list of what has been linked to the ‘linked’ project
  • I’ve made a URL page on the Asset Lib which just points to this global page as a poor-mans workaround, and I have this other question for trying to remove the nav bar:
    Embed ShotGrid Page in ShotGrid Page - Hide Nav
  1. When a show is done we review the global page of what has been linked and decide what to migrate.
    It’s great to see someone having faith in a status-driven trigger but for us we have an Asset-level AMI to migrate to the lib, the AMI will only work if the Asset is Approved as a sort of nuclear-weapon two key turn type deal :smiley:

What I like about your approach is in considering variants and generational asset improvements/changes show-by-show. That’s a great idea to then back link the migrated asset to the originating project so you have a path to later identification.

For the on-disk process, we did consider symlinking back to the original asset but went with a full copy migrate instead.
We archive all our shows to nearline then tape to adhere to client 6mth > 3yr backup policies so we’d prefer to keep our lib in one consolidated directory.

1 Like