Web playback rez/quality

Im looking to adjust and control the resolution and/or quality of the “web” playback mode of versions being reviewed in Create. Some of our content is high res 36 frame spins, in which the uploaded movie is compressed during the web playback to the point of being unusable. It would be very helpful to be able to set quality of this playback. Maybe if there was a condition based on the length and size of an uploaded movie to set the web playback quality?
it would also be extremely helpful if this was implemented on the client review site as well.

thanks

2 Likes

Hi @ajohnson,

Thanks for your posting.

Shotgun Create could play content from the cloud or off your local network. You can choose how media is played back in Shotgun Create. This can be useful to change depending on the resolution of the media, and the speed of your machine. A default can be set in the Create Preferences, but you can always switch to any available format in the Player controls.

Options are:

• Frames (path_to_frames)
  • Movie (path_to_movie)
  • Streaming

For example, if you select Frames as the default, Shotgun Create prioritizes a version’s Path to Frames, then Path to Movie, then streams media from the cloud as needed.

It’s not supported if you are looking for a way to customize the resolution of the streamed media on Shotgun web (media center, client review site etc.). What we could offer is to disable the auto-transcoding service and you take it over to do your own transcoding.

And actually customizing the resolution of streamed media is a popular request. Follow the post here submit it again to our product team and get more votes on it.

Cheers,
Ben

2 Likes

The quality of the uploaded mov file is fine, its the “web” playback mode that is the problem. This appears to also be the case with the client review site. For offsite production we have to download the uploaded movie to do our QA
if automatic transcoding is disabled, with this effect how create functions with versions?

thanks.
I posted a request, btw

1 Like

Hi @ajohnson,

Thanks for getting back.

Yay, the sg_uploaded_moive stores the original uploaded media, which is not compressed while the web players are streaming the transcoded mp4 or webm media. To get a highres review workflow, you could check the post below and see if any of these works for you.

With DIY transcoding, as long as you generate/fill in MP4 and WebM field on Versions, you could playback well on Shotgun Create.

Send us a support ticket to request disable auto-transcoding and expose these two fields.

Cheers,
Ben

1 Like

Hi @ajohnson,

Just to add some precision to what Ben just mentioned, Shotgun Create is always using the MP4 transcoded version (the WebM is not used).

Thanks,

Michel.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification guys, I already have automatic version uploading, so making mp4 and webM will be an easy addition. However i still have departments using Create to upload versions. it was suggested to make a daemon to do the transcoding (mp4, webM) based on the uploaded mov file. I will have to explore that, do you have any suggestions on best practices for that type of operation?

thanks

2 Likes

Hey AJ,
this thread was helping me:

Best,
Tobi

1 Like