Upcoming change to quick search function in Shotgun

Totally agree with @MarcelTie . That was one of the best parts of the feature. I’m presuming it was turned off due to some sort of performance implications? If that’s the case would someone on the :shotgun: team be able to share the specifics? I’d hope we as users could evaluate the page performance on a page-by-page basis and adjust accordingly rather than wholesale removing the functionality.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know about this. Our team will take a look to see what’s going on.

1 Like

Hi, is this issue solve, please? can we have the previuos options?
the search is being quite difficult as the field “Link” is a entity/multi-entity field and again is excluded per default from the quick search. It requires to select each time that you are searching something and it takes a lot of time. d

I wanted to give everyone (especially @brandon.foster and @MarcelTie) an update on the work we’re doing to give everyone back the ability to use linked-fields in search. The challenge for us was having linked-fields available by default, as this resulted in a number of severe performance issues for many of our customers.

Instead of having linked-fields available by default, we’re planning to offer the ability to individually select linked-fields, and then have them persist. We expect this will provide all the functionality our users desire, without the performance issues we’ve seen.

Our goal is to release this in the next couple of weeks, and I’ll be sure to post here when it’s available.

I know this journey has been frustrating, but we want to make sure we’re getting you the functionality you want, without the performance issues you don’t.

Thanks again for your patience as we work to resolve this.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update! Exciting to hear this will be implemented! I’m curious, would this preference be saved in the browser cache or would it persist regardless of browser?

Thanks for the update, Warren. Much appreciated!

On Mon. 1 Nov, The ShotGrid team released an update to the selection of linked entities in Quick Search (@brandon.foster and @MarcelTie)

It’s valuable to understand the context of this update:

• Before July, Quick Search had a limited capability for field selection: users could either select a single field, or a group of keywords of all visible columns, excluding linked entities.
  • In July, we added the ability to select any field combination, as well as a default selection of linked entity fields.
  • In September, we removed the default selection of linked entities, because it was causing huge performance issues for many ShotGrid customers. But this removed valuable functionality many users found useful.

In this release, Quick Search selections are now persisted in Page settings, which allows selecting linked entities as well. It uses the same persistence mechanism as the Columns, Groupings, Filters. If the user has permission to save the page, it will save the selections for everyone, otherwise the selections are only for that user.

If selections are changed (they persist automatically), they will override the default behavior of selections driven by the visibility of the columns in the grid.

Would love for you to try this out and let me know if it works for you!

5 Likes

Thanks for this update, Warren - sounds like a good compromise. Can you tell me what SG version this will be in? Our site is not on the latest, and I’ll want to be on the lookout for this. Thanks!

3 Likes

Sound great, thanks a lot!

1 Like

Thanks, Warren! This feels like a good compromise between performance and functionality.

@tannaz we’re on 8.31.0.8964 and it appears to be working in that release.

2 Likes

Thanks for the changes and responding to the feedback!

Which version has the page settings option? We are on local install still and need to make sure we get the right version as the one we just upgraded to is causing huge issues with our users.

Hi @laldridge - found this in an earlier post, so can you see if this works for you? But I believe you can go as early as 8.31.0.8960 ( instead of 8.31.0.8964)

Okay we’re going to try 8.31.0.9138 as that seems to be all that is available for us. I just wanted to confirm 8.31 vs 8.30 (we are on 8.29 and just started getting this).