Submit for review publish failing

Hi! For some reason the ‘Submit for review’ task in the nuke publisher always fails, and I can’t figure out how to fix it, so i was hoping someone else would give me a hand. (Very new to setting all this stuff up, just trying to get a simple nuke integration working.)

Here’s the error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “Z:\pipeline\shotgrid\configs\projecttest\install\app_store\tk-multi-publish2\v2.6.2\python\tk_multi_publish2\api\plugins\publish_plugin_instance.py”, line 308, in _handle_plugin_error
yield
File “Z:\pipeline\shotgrid\configs\projecttest\install\app_store\tk-multi-publish2\v2.6.2\python\tk_multi_publish2\api\plugins\publish_plugin_instance.py”, line 204, in run_publish
self._hook_instance.publish(settings, item)
File “Z:\pipeline\shotgrid\configs\projecttest\install\app_store\tk-nuke\v0.14.4\hooks\tk-multi-publish2\basic\submit_for_review.py”, line 269, in publish
"Review submission failed. Could not render and "
Exception: Review submission failed. Could not render and submit the review associated sequence.

I am aware that there is a similar post to this one located here: Nuke 'submit_for_review.py' - but it doesn’t really explain how to solve the issue, rather it points out files to look at.

Many thanks
Richard

happy sunday - quick update to my issue which i am yet to fix

I’m essentially trying to publish a mov render that was rendered through the sg write nodes. EXR sequences seem to work fine and the ‘submit for review’ seems to work as expected. But it looks like there is something stopping the mov specificically being submitted through this publisher - and I can’t find where i would change this to allow movs.

Here’s the error log for that process:

2022-08-21 11:31:30,123 [7468 ERROR sgtk.env.project.tk-nuke.tk-multi-reviewsubmission.tkimp73c062c06eba40ff884886e46c7d27b1.tk_multi_reviewsubmission] Group1.source: Z:/projects/projecttest/sequences/test_043_ntc/test_043_ntc_1720_bg001/comp/publish/elements/test_043_ntc_1720_bg001_comp_v001.mov: out of frame range
2022-08-21 11:31:30,149 [7468 DEBUG sgtk.env.project.tk-nuke.tk-multi-publish2.tkimp57707392e13340509d0ca183c69e35ee.tk_multi_publish2.progress.progress_handler] Rendering log action {‘label’: ‘Error Details’, ‘tooltip’: ‘Show the full error tack trace’, ‘text’: ‘

Traceback (most recent call last):\n  File “Z:\pipeline\shotgrid\configs\projecttest\install\app_store\tk-multi-publish2\v2.6.2\python\tk_multi_publish2\api\plugins\publish_plugin_instance.py”, line 308, in _handle_plugin_error\n    yield\n  File “Z:\pipeline\shotgrid\configs\projecttest\install\app_store\tk-multi-publish2\v2.6.2\python\tk_multi_publish2\api\plugins\publish_plugin_instance.py”, line 204, in run_publish\n    self._hook_instance.publish(settings, item)\n  File “Z:\pipeline\shotgrid\configs\projecttest\install\app_store\tk-nuke\v0.14.4\hooks\tk-multi-publish2\basic\submit_for_review.py”, line 269, in publish\n    "Review submission failed. Could not render and "\nException: Review submission failed. Could not render and submit the review associated sequence.\n
’, ‘type’: ‘show_more_info’}
2022-08-21 11:31:30,180 [7468 ERROR sgtk.env.project.tk-nuke.tk-multi-publish2.tkimp57707392e13340509d0ca183c69e35ee.tk_multi_publish2.dialog] Publish error stack:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “Z:\pipeline\shotgrid\configs\projecttest\install\app_store\tk-multi-publish2\v2.6.2\python\tk_multi_publish2\dialog.py”, line 1229, in do_publish
task_generator=self._publish_task_generator()
File “Z:\pipeline\shotgrid\configs\projecttest\install\app_store\tk-multi-publish2\v2.6.2\python\tk_multi_publish2\api\manager.py”, line 343, in publish
self._process_tasks(task_generator, lambda task: task.publish())
File “Z:\pipeline\shotgrid\configs\projecttest\install\app_store\tk-multi-publish2\v2.6.2\python\tk_multi_publish2\api\manager.py”, line 237, in _process_tasks
return_value = task_cb(task)
File “Z:\pipeline\shotgrid\configs\projecttest\install\app_store\tk-multi-publish2\v2.6.2\python\tk_multi_publish2\api\manager.py”, line 343, in
self._process_tasks(task_generator, lambda task: task.publish())
File “Z:\pipeline\shotgrid\configs\projecttest\install\app_store\tk-multi-publish2\v2.6.2\python\tk_multi_publish2\api\task.py”, line 147, in publish
self.plugin.run_publish(self.settings, self.item)
File “Z:\pipeline\shotgrid\configs\projecttest\install\app_store\tk-multi-publish2\v2.6.2\python\tk_multi_publish2\api\plugins\publish_plugin_instance.py”, line 204, in run_publish
self._hook_instance.publish(settings, item)
File “Z:\pipeline\shotgrid\configs\projecttest\install\app_store\tk-nuke\v0.14.4\hooks\tk-multi-publish2\basic\submit_for_review.py”, line 269, in publish
"Review submission failed. Could not render and "
Exception: Review submission failed. Could not render and submit the review associated sequence.

Interestingly if I manually drag the mov render into the publisher - rather than seeing the ‘submit for review’ process show up, instead the ‘upload for review’ process shows up instead, and this works perfectly fine and submits the version.

I presume the ‘submit for review’ process expects an image sequence so it can render a movie to upload to Shotgrid? If so, surely there is a way to allow mov’s but switch the task to ‘upload for review’ so it uploads straight away as a version without needing to reprocess it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - this is one of the last things i am yet to get working :sweat_smile:

2022-08-21 11:31:30,123 [7468 ERROR sgtk.env.project.tk-nuke.tk-multi-
reviewsubmission.tkimp73c062c06eba40ff884886e46c7d27b1.tk_multi_reviewsubmission] 
Group1.source: 
Z:/projects/projecttest/sequences/test_043_ntc/test_043_ntc_1720_bg001
/comp/publish/elements/test_043_ntc_1720_bg001_comp_v001.mov: out of frame range

This seems to be your error

Hi Ricardo

Thanks for pointing that out! - so how would I go about resolving this? Is it specifically the ‘out of frame range’ part that is throwing it off then? Perhaps some kind of confusion since i am inputting a mov which will start at frame of 1 compared to the start frame of 1001 in the shot?

Richard

I think the reviewsubmission by default will render the current project framerange and your imported Mov will likely be starting at frame 1.

I would recommend just adding a retime node underneath the read for the mov and set the output to start at 1001 (or whatever your framerange is supposed to start at).
The retime node will auto-caculate the remaining values from the input.

You can also set the read node to “start at” frame 1001 (or whatever your start frame is).

That should fix this.

Hi Ricardo

I am trying to publish a mov that has been rendered through a ShotgunWrite node - im not importing any mov’s or anything - so when the publisher finds my write node and the mov, it loads it in correctly… but doesn’t publish it due to the above error…

Perhaps im just going about this all wrong! I essentially want our artists to be able to publish MOV wips via a shotgridwrite node and publish to shotgrid - and not render and EXR’s etc until I need to do a full QC

Richard

Interesting as it was never possible to render movs with the Sg writenode.
Has it been updated with that feature?

Its likely still something to do with it taking the framerange somewhere.
I’d need to see the code of the publisher to see what is happening.

Did you have any hooks altered or is your setup Out of The Box tk-config-default2?

Hi Ricardo

Yes it wasn’t possible before I dont think. I got it to work by tweaking the info.yml file and set the SEQ to have square brackets round it to allow stuff other than sequences (think thats how it works). But obviously i still need to tweak a setting somewhere that affects how it interprets an input framerange etc…

Other than some tweaks to the templates.yml and the tk-nuke-writenode.yml to make it so I have a mov write node output, it should all be straight out of the box config.

Perhaps you have another suggestion on how I would run this workflowso i can have artists rendering movs through the SG write node and publish to shotgrid?

As I mentioned before, if you import this mov and manually drag and drop it into the publisher it seems to work fine - its just the process of SG searching for the sg writenode outputs and publishing those where it fails due to the framerange issue.

Cheers
Richard

The review submission app by default uses the item’s first and last frame properties.
Those properties are by default populated by the tk-multi-publish2 collector hook.

This collector hook by default takes the frame range from the Nuke Root knobs.

If you are getting an Z:/projects/projecttest/sequences/test_043_ntc/test_043_ntc_1720_bg001 /comp/publish/elements/test_043_ntc_1720_bg001_comp_v001.mov: out of frame range error it must have to do something with that.