SG Review vs Screening Room

I remember reading a while back in the documentation that SG Review and Screening Room are not compatible and you need to choose one or the other. Is that still true? (Was it ever true?!)
In order to keep users from causing a conflict I removed the Screening Room package but then when users run the Submit Tool from SG Review it gives me a notice that I’m using an old version of Screening Room.

Besides compatibility, is one more supported than the other or is there a compelling reason to use one or the other moving forward?

(Note: We are on RV 7.3.4)

Hi @Jase_Lindgren,

Thanks for posting it on the community so other can see.

Since RV 7.3.0, Shotgun integration in RV should follow the doc here:

Could you please follow the doc and check if you set the Shotgun Review portion under Site Preference correctly. If you already set it properly and still see the notice. A support ticket to support@shotgunsoftware.com will be necessary then.

it’s not that we support more on one than the other, all depends on your studio review workflow. Apparently that Screening Room for RV supports Submit Tool, while Shotgun Review has cuts workflow and Import Cuts app. See here for more information with regard to Screening Room vs Shotgun Review: https://support.shotgunsoftware.com/hc/en-us/articles/223949707-What-s-the-difference-between-Screening-Room-and-Shotgun-Review-

Moving forwards, we are focusing on our new desktop experience for artists and reviewers- Shotgun Create. More and more studios integrate it into their review workflow. You could see more here: https://support.shotgunsoftware.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012554734-An-intro-to-Shotgun-Create

Cheers,
Ben

1 Like

Hey @Jase_Lindgren,

I’m sorry for all the confusion, but we do support Screening Room more than SG Review these days. We’ve swapped the default back from SG Review to Screening room in all RV releases, as well as new site preferences to mirror that.

The reason you might get a notification that you are on an old version with Screening Room is that we are trying to encourage you on to RV 7.5.x, as it has a much better web browser built in (since it is built on Qt5).

The performance and stability of that web browser with newer web technologies alone should be a compelling reason to check it out.

In the future, to continue to have Screening Room work, you will need to be on RV 7.5.0 or newer. The details of that can be found here:

That doesn’t, however, mean you should move off of screening room. We would love you to stay on screening room, as it is more feature complete and continues to get bug fixes, we just want you to be on the version of RV that will support the future, as well as get the maximum benefit now.

Seriously, if you haven’t tried screening room with RV 7.5.x, you will have to see how much of an improvement it is!

2 Likes

Thanks, Michael. I would love to move us to 7.5 but I can’t do that until we can solve the issue of being able to play prores since it’s an integral part of our workflow. (I already have another thread about that and have been in touch with RV devs about it so no need to reply here)

2 Likes

Thanks for the documentation link.
There’s some conflicting information on it, though.
In the text it says to UNCHECK Shotgun Integration but in the image it says it should ALWAYS BE ON.

1 Like

Hi @Jase_Lindgren,

Sorry for the confusion. We should keep Shotgun Integration checked as shown on the image. We will updated the doc.

Cheers,
Ben

1 Like

Hi Jase, can you point me to the thread about being able to play prores in RV? Are you on linux?
Thanks!

1 Like

No, we are a windows studio.
https://community.shotgridsoftware.com/t/re-mio-ffmpeg-on-rv-7-5-0/3218/16

1 Like

Hi @macbeth @Jase_Lindgren

You could add support by recompiling the movie plugin with it enabled by following the directions in the src/mio_ffmpeg/README file in your RV install directory.

Cheers

Loney

1 Like