IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR Jan. 9, 2023 - Upcoming removal of Python 2.7 and 3.7 interpreter in ShotGrid Desktop

Hi everyone,

Wanted to share an update for our plans regarding Python 3.9 support in ShotGrid Desktop. By Updated Date: Jan. 26, 2023, ShotGrid Desktop will ONLY support Python 3.9 , and stop shipping a working copy of the Python 2.7 and Python 3.7 interpreter.

Why is this being done?

We are removing Python 2 for security purposes, to ensure that ShotGrid Desktop is always running on the most secure version of Python recommended by the VFX Reference Platform .

What if I want to keep using an older copy of ShotGrid Desktop?

Clients still running old SG Desktop using Python 2.7, things should still work, but we do not support it so if there are any issues we will not fix them. Clients using new SG Desktop, only Python 3 will work since only Python 3.9 will be included

If you want to download older versions of ShotGrid Desktop that still support Python 2.7 and 3.7, you can grab versions 1.6.1 to 1.7.x here.

I’m ready to leave Python 2 behind, how do I do it?

If you’re using the basic integration, you’re good to go. All our tools are Python 2/3 compliant, so installing a new ShotGrid Desktop that only bundles Python 3 will not be an issue. Note that this change only impacts the ShotGrid Desktop experience. All your DCCs that do not ship with a Python 3.9 interpreter can still be launched from ShotGrid Desktop.

If you’ve customized your ShotGrid projects integrations i.e. using an advanced integration and you are relying on Desktop’s built-in Python interpreter; you may have to make changes before you install the new version. You’ll need to make sure that any application that runs in the tk-desktop engine, either at the project or site level, is compatible with Python 3.9.

Don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions, here or through support.

The ShotGrid Ecosystem Team

2 Likes