Fusion or Resolve?

Anyone using SG with Fusion? I’m looking to pick up a seat or two to add to our VFX toolkit on film work that we do. Wondering how others are handling integrating it into the SG world.

5 Likes

I personally haven’t had to integrate it with SG, but you should check out Mykhailo Datsyk’s implementation of tk-fusion. I think it is still a bit of a WIP, but could be a good start ?
https://github.com/mikedatsik/tk-fusion

6 Likes

Thank you for the link, I’ll take a look.

1 Like

WOrking to get this installed. Can anyone shed some light on this error? I get it in the console when trying the tank cache_apps command

This command will traverse the entire configuration and ensure that all apps
and engines code is correctly cached in your local installation.

Environment asset
------------------------------------------
Environment path: Z:\Motion_Design\sg\config\env\asset.yml

WARNING: Found unsupported parameters set(['branch']) in {'path':
'https://github.com/mikedatsik/tk-fusion.git', 'version': 'v1.0.0', 'type':
'git', 'branch': 'master'}. These will be ignored.
Engine tk-fusion - Downloading...
ERROR: Failed to download into path
Z:\Motion_Design\sg\install\tmp\446ebf0b3bc340139303afffd017a4e3: Could not
download https://github.com/mikedatsik/tk-fusion.git, tag v1.0.0: Error
executing git operation 'git -C
"Z:\Motion_Design\sg\install\tmp\446ebf0b3bc340139303afffd017a4e3" checkout -q
"v1.0.0"': error: pathspec 'v1.0.0' did not match any file(s) known to git.
(Return code 1). Attempting to remove it.

Z:\Motion_Design\sg\install\tmp\446ebf0b3bc340139303afffd017a4e3: Could not
"Z:\Motion_Design\sg\install\tmp\446ebf0b3bc340139303afffd017a4e3" checkout -q
(Return code 1)

Hi guys –

First off, awesome that we have a community integration for Fusion, and thanks @Diego_Garcia_Huerta for pointing us to it! Our community never ceases to impress me.

And @byronnash, I tested this out and got the same error. It looks like @Mykhailo_Datsyk’s Github repo is missing the v1.0.0 tag that his engine’s descriptor is referencing. Tagging him here – hopefully he’ll see this post and fix it up!

5 Likes

Yes, it’s great that people are making and sharing stuff!

This is my first time trying to install anything custom like this and I must say that as a newcomer, it’s really complicated and tricky. In the future, it would be great to see some more elegant approach to installing custom things without having to carefully add code to a dozen or more scripts. Just a thought! I am new to toolkit and the like and am giving some feedback. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@byronnash, you’re not wrong – the complexity of the Toolkit config is something we talk about internally often – it’s…less than ideal. If it helps, there are a couple legitimate reasons why it’s so complex: one is environment-specific configuration: you can have different apps, different engines or even the same apps/engines but with different settings in different artist environments. It gives you a lot of power for customization, and it looks like Mykhaylo took good advantage of it in his setup.

The other is includes – you can set some set of configurations in a single file, then reference it into other files, so that you only need to make changes in a single place when there’s common data. Efficient on the whole, but does mean that you have to bounce through several files sometimes when you’re first setting something up.

If you’re new to complex modifications like this to your config, I can offer a few resources:

• Adding an app – We don’t have a specific doc for adding an engine, but much of the logic is the same for adding an app. This is a step-by-step guide that should be helpful (in fact, all those Getting Started guides would probably be useful for you).
  • Environment Configuration Reference – This doc goes through all the details of the structure of the environment configuration (config/env/*), including includes, per-environment configuration, etc. It’s a good resource for understanding how it all fits together.

Hope that helps a bit! Thanks so much for the feedback!

2 Likes

Hi, @byronnash ! The Fusion Integration is in progress, it works but little buggy, that’s why I didn’t share it with community and don’t create release tags. Anyway I have created v1.0.0 tag so you can try it one more time.

1 Like

Thanks for looking into it @Mykhailo_Datsyk ! Now that you have added the tag, do I need to do anything other then try the tank cache_apps again? I’m still getting an error but I’m guessing there’s a step I’m missing. I’m new to github so forgive my ignorance!

@byronnash, If you share more about the error you’re getting, we might be able help you out, too. :blush:

Pretty sure it’s the same error as before.

Z:\Motion_Design\sg>tank cache_apps

Welcome to the Shotgun Pipeline Toolkit!
For documentation, see https://support.shotgunsoftware.com
Starting Toolkit for your current path 'Z:\Motion_Design\sg'
- The path is not associated with any Shotgun object.
- Falling back on default project settings.
- Running as user 'byron'
- Using configuration 'Primary' and Core v0.18.167
- Setting the Context to Project The Warrant.
- Running command cache_apps...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Command: Cache apps
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This command will traverse the entire configuration and ensure that all apps
and engines code is correctly cached in your local installation.

Environment asset

Z:\Motion_Design\sg\install\tmp\f2b659d4088e4cc99c1f2b68f0fb77c7: Could not
"Z:\Motion_Design\sg\install\tmp\f2b659d4088e4cc99c1f2b68f0fb77c7" checkout -q
(Return code 1). Attempting to remove it.

Z:\Motion_Design\sg\install\tmp\f2b659d4088e4cc99c1f2b68f0fb77c7: Could not
"Z:\Motion_Design\sg\install\tmp\f2b659d4088e4cc99c1f2b68f0fb77c7" checkout -q
(Return code 1)

I’m not sure if it is the reason, but the tag in git has a capital V so maybe it should be V1.0.0?

3 Likes

@byronnash, @philip.scadding. Yes Philip are right, I made typo when creating release, I already fixed it, now it v1.0.0, in a right, lower case.

3 Likes

Great, I think the cache_apps is mostly working now. Still got a couple of errors but I’m not sure what the cause is.

Environment asset

App tk-multi-screeningroom (Engine tk-fusion) - OK!
App tk-multi-shotgunpanel (Engine tk-fusion) - OK!
App tk-multi-about (Engine tk-fusion) - OK!
App tk-multi-workfiles2 (Engine tk-fusion) - OK!

and

Engine tk-fusion - OK!
App tk-multi-screeningroom (Engine tk-fusion) - OK!
App tk-multi-breakdown (Engine tk-fusion) - OK!
App tk-multi-workfiles2 (Engine tk-fusion) - OK!
App tk-multi-loader2 (Engine tk-fusion) - OK!
App tk-multi-shotgunpanel (Engine tk-fusion) - OK!
App tk-multi-publish2 (Engine tk-fusion) - OK!
App tk-multi-about (Engine tk-fusion) - OK!
App tk-multi-snapshot (Engine tk-fusion) - OK!

It comes up a few more times after that. Did I enter something wrong in the setup files or is it still a problem with git? Fusion does not show up in my SG Desktop app yet.

1 Like

A descriptor of type git only requires the type path and version fields and not the branch. That warning is telling you it will ignore the branch field.
That should not be the cause for Fusion not showing up. Do you have the Software entity added and the engine set on the Software entity?

2 Likes

Yes, I have it added to my Software page in the preferences, is that what you mean?

1 Like

Hmm, I see the Fusion option on another project but not my current one. I can get the panel open now and am exploring what works and what doesn’t work.

1 Like

Forgive my ineptitude with setting up these Toolkit projects! The Fusion option works in SG Desktop for my previous project. I couldn’t get it to come up for the current one. So, I deleted the pipeline configs and the tank value and set up the project again with the advanced project setup tool. Then I copied all the files from the old sg folder into this new one. The logo now shows up in SG desktop for the current project but doesn’t launch. I was previously under the assumption that those sg setup folders were more global than they are. Now I’m understanding that those are project specific. Is there no way to create a master that all projects can reference?

2 Likes

Hi Byron –

By default, centralized Toolkit configs have what’s called a localized core - each project config has its own install/ directory, and within it, its own copy of all the apps and engines it uses, as well as tk-core itself.

But you can choose to move some or all projects to a shared core – in this scenario, projects sharing a core will get tk-core and their apps and engines from a shared location. If you want to implement a shared core, take a look at the following forum post and this document to learn more about setting it up:

Hope that helps clear up any confusion! Let us know if you’re still hitting snags.

2 Likes

To add to what Tannaz has said, I personally think the best way of having one shared config is to use a site configuration. I cover it here:

2 Likes