FEATURE ANNOUNCE: Input Validation for Entity Name Fields

Is there any way to specify a space as a special-character, to use as a separator?

For example to enforce a space-separated RGB hex value like “A1 B2 C3”.

1 Like

Hi @taiello,

Thanks for your question.

Currently we do not support space characters in the special character list for input validation rules. We have added this to our list of requests for consideration in future enhancements.

Stefan

1 Like

@slewery I’d like to add to @taiello 's request that this would be a useful addition. We’re trying to validate a Description field and spaces are to be expected in its contents. I see no reason why the space character shouldn’t be an option for someone to use. I’d personally like to see the new-line or carriage-return character available as well - more options gives the existing validation system more utility and less need for users to build solutions circumventing its limitations.

Thanks for adding your weight behind this @scl-mschroeder!

We’ve created a ticket for the ‘space’ special character and we’ll also look into the carriage return idea. I can’t commit to when this work will be done, but our team is looking at it and I’ll lat you know when it’s available.

1 Like

Appreciate the response @warren.trezevant - I’ll keep my eyes peeled for whenever that may be! Validations are super handy for a large number of things already, so hopefully this will just add to the list of useful stuff you can do with it.

This input validation looks super helpful @warren.trezevant, I have few queries around the same.

1. Validation tab is not available in configure field window.
  2. How can I restrict user from adding same entity multiple times in a “multi entity field”?
    Thanks for your anticipation…!!

Hi scl-mschroeder

Thanks for your suggestion. We have added space character support to our list of upcoming enhancements and will take a look at whether we can include newlines with this.

Stefan

1 Like

Hi KamalS

Thanks for your questions!.

Validation should be available in the configure field window. Please note, that you won’t see the tab displayed for demo or template projects or when viewing a project based entity in a global (non-project) context. Validation is currently supported for text, currency percentage, float and number types.

We don’t currently support validation for mult-entity fields but we will add this to the list of features for consideration.

Stefan

1 Like

Hi,

Would it be possible to add validation for linked entity code for example, make sure a shot code contains the sequence code ?

Thank you,

Louise

How can we check for the validation rules within our REST/python API calls? When doing the schema_field_read command in python on the entity field where the rules are set, I’m not seeing an entry with the specified rules, just whether or not it’s editable, unique etc. Is there a different command that is used for this?

Thanks!

Hi @blavin,

Thanks for your question! We currently don’t support returning the validation rule with schema fetch calls in our apis. We are currently working on improving the experience of using validation with the APIs and I have added your request to our items for consideration for future releases.

Regards,

Stefan

My apologies,

You should actually currently be able to retrieve some information on the rule with your schema call.
eg.
{{host}}/api/v1/schema/Shot/fields/code?project_id=<project_id>.

Will return a block indicating the message, description, enforcement type and rule type.

eg

"validation_rule": {
            "strict": true,
            "enabled": true,
            "format": "",
            "display_message": "",
            "description": "",
            "rule_type": "text"
        }

Thanks for the info Stefan, I was under the impression based on this that it was supported:

But, I’ll keep an eye out for any further updates, thank you!

Wanted to let everyone in the channel know the ShotGrid team recently added the ability to use spaces when setting up Input Validation rules.

To learn more about this enhancement, be sure to check out our updated documentation here

We’re excited to continue offering value to this important feature and would like to hear from you any feedback you have on how you’re benefitting from Input Validation or what else we could add to help you utilize it more effectively at your studio.

1 Like

Hi Warren,

I just started to use a validation rule. In our case, we want to prevent the use of underscores in shot and asset names. I managed to make the rule but I would like to enable it on future projects. When we create a project we use a ‘template project’ as a template. Opened that ‘template project’ and tried to apply the validation rule (or rebuild it there), but when I right-click a field in that project and go to the configuration page for that field, the ‘VALIDATION’ tab doesn’t show up.

How should I proceed to ensure future projects will inherit my validation rule ?

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback @donat .

The good news is our team is currently working on providing the ability to include validation rules in templates and we’re hoping to make it available sometime in the New Year. As soon as it’s ready, I’ll be sure to let you know so you can validate the workflow with your team.

Have a wonderful holiday break and I’ll reach out again soon.

Warren

1 Like

Thanks Warren

Happy New Year @donat , and everyone else using Input Validation -

I wanted to let you know the ShotGrid team recently released an update that now allows you to utilize Input Validation with template Projects. You can check out the release notes here, which has videos that go through the workflow and a link to the documentation.

I hope this helps you and your teams get more value from the Input Validation workflow in ShotGrid. I’d love to hear any feedback you have of your experience with this new capability.

Please let us know if you come across any issues or if there’s anything more we can do to help.

Warren

3 Likes

Thanks for the information @warren.trezevant and good year to you too. I’ll check this new feature

Hi @warren.trezevant

Small glitch related to input validation :

I’m using input validation on shot entities, on the shot code (in my case to prevent users to use spaces and underscores in shot names)

Today I needed to duplicate an existing shot and tried to do that by right-clicking the shot and selecting the ‘duplicate’ option. I got an error : could not duplicate the shot. The error log mentions input validation. I guess that this problem comes from the fact that duplicating a shot would create a shot with the name of the original shot plus some kind of suffix separated by whitespace. I suppose you could fix that for the future

Regards

2 Likes

Any chance we could use validation to ensure values come from a specified list? For example, for task creation should validate for only certain pre-approved names “model”, “texture”, “layout”, “animation” etc.

I know I can add this validation on my end with pre or post creation checks, independent of the SG validation tool, but that wouldn’t apply to the SG batch import tool, so I’d have to take that over too, which would be a shame.

Thanks

1 Like