Task Dependency outside of the shot and area

Hi @pritish.pixomondo - just weighing in with a bit more background here. As a former production manager, I have looked to set up similar dependency chains in the past, to make sure the whole complex web of production dependencies are represented. That said - we tend to recommend against going this route for a couple of reasons.

The primary problem with connecting everything this way, is it tends to result in some behavior that is not always clear to everyone interacting with the site. The more you have dependencies across the context of different entities (Shots, Assets, etc), the more you have people seeing things shift around on the schedule without knowing exactly why. We find this causes more confusion than it is worth in the long run, compared to a trigger-based status flipping approach, or simply offering convenient ways to view status of dependent things.

There is also a performance concern here, as if you created dependencies between all 14k of your Tasks, then each one of those would have to recalculate start/end dates every time there was a change to any one of them. Also considering the fact that many clients have well beyond 14k Tasks, and may have 10’s or 100’s of users changing dates at any given time, you can imagine how this could become a massive computing challenge.

I think suggestions so far in this thread are all good ones - if your artist can jump over to the linked Assets tab on the detail page for their Shot, and scan the Pipeline Step columns to see approval status of all their required Assets - that makes for a pretty simple workflow IMHO. You could also add the connection field (as mentioned by @Ross_Macaluso) to identify when a particular Asset has a non-standard dependency, or have a list field on the connection to choose what Task or Step the dependency requires.

I hope that helps a bit. I would recommend (if you haven’t already) submitting any ideas you have on how to improve this workflow to our public roadmap portal. :beers:

1 Like