RV OTIO import issues

Hi I have been trying out the OTIO import option and getting some strange results.

We use Nuke Studio for managing the Editorial side of things. So I have been exporting out a timeline from here with multiple tracks and QuickTime sources as an OTIO file as it’s now supported. This imports back in correctly. However in RV I get a bunch of errors and it seems to make a mess of it all. Be good to get some insight as to what I should expect here.

The main sequence seems to be all clips back to back. There are then individual sequences for each track in my timeline. There is a stack called tracks which doesn’t contain anything at all. I imagine this should be populated with each sequence to build a representation of the edit? If I manually stack them in here it seems to work but surely it should build them in here and load this as default. It’s not feeling very intuitive or user friendly. I can post the errors I get later if needed.

Hi Simon,

Would it be possible for you to share a sample OTIO file that doesn’t load properly or open a support ticket with an OTIO.

regards,
Alain

Sure, let me know if you have any issues accessing it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K1P3sUu4Ku3K6xEr53BGSZyL4m261U2T/view?usp=sharing

Thus is the error I get

ERROR: 'opentimelineio._opentime.TimeRange' object is not callable
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Volumes/software/rv/rv-centos7-x86-64-2022.3.1/plugins/Python/otio_reader_plugin.py", line 125, in source_group_complete
    self.expand_sources()
  File "/Volumes/software/rv/rv-centos7-x86-64-2022.3.1/plugins/Python/otio_reader_plugin.py", line 193, in expand_sources
    raise e
  File "/Volumes/software/rv/rv-centos7-x86-64-2022.3.1/plugins/Python/otio_reader_plugin.py", line 186, in expand_sources
    result = otio_reader.read_otio_file(path)
  File "/Volumes/software/rv/rv-centos7-x86-64-2022.3.1/plugins/Python/otio_reader.py", line 74, in read_otio_file
    return create_rv_node_from_otio(input_otio, context)
  File "/Volumes/software/rv/rv-centos7-x86-64-2022.3.1/plugins/Python/otio_reader.py", line 101, in create_rv_node_from_otio
    result = WRITE_TYPE_MAP[type(otio_obj)](otio_obj, context)
  File "/Volumes/software/rv/rv-centos7-x86-64-2022.3.1/plugins/Python/otio_reader.py", line 370, in _create_timeline
    stack = create_rv_node_from_otio(tl.tracks, context)
  File "/Volumes/software/rv/rv-centos7-x86-64-2022.3.1/plugins/Python/otio_reader.py", line 101, in create_rv_node_from_otio
  File "/Volumes/software/rv/rv-centos7-x86-64-2022.3.1/plugins/Python/otio_reader.py", line 205, in _create_stack
    result = create_rv_node_from_otio(seq, context)
  File "/Volumes/software/rv/rv-centos7-x86-64-2022.3.1/plugins/Python/otio_reader.py", line 250, in _create_track
    result = create_rv_node_from_otio(thing, context)
  File "/Volumes/software/rv/rv-centos7-x86-64-2022.3.1/plugins/Python/otio_reader.py", line 514, in _create_item
    src_or_switch_group, active_src = _create_sources(it, context)
  File "/Volumes/software/rv/rv-centos7-x86-64-2022.3.1/plugins/Python/otio_reader.py", line 457, in _create_sources
    active_source = add_media(item.media_reference, active_key, commands.addSourceVerbose)
  File "/Volumes/software/rv/rv-centos7-x86-64-2022.3.1/plugins/Python/otio_reader.py", line 427, in add_media
    media = _create_media(media_ref, context)
  File "/Volumes/software/rv/rv-centos7-x86-64-2022.3.1/plugins/Python/otio_reader.py", line 405, in _create_media
    blank = _create_movieproc(media_ref.available_range())
TypeError: 'opentimelineio._opentime.TimeRange' object is not callable
e[31m# ocio_source_setup.py - useSourceOCIO - 499 - ERROR: ocio_source_setup : ERROR: Problem occurred while loading OCIO settings for OCIOFile: local variable 'inspace' referenced before assignmente[0m
e[0mINFO: ocio_source_setup : using OCIOLook node for sourceGroup000002_source RVLookPipelineGroup

ignore the OCIO issues in this I know what those are.

Hello,

I see the problem and I’ll fix it for the next release. If you like you can edit the file manually then to simply remove the () from the end of the line its complaining about (line 405 in otio_reader.py), so you don’t have to wait until the next release.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks Nelson, Will try that, thanks for the quick support. How do I edit an RV package?

Is there anything scheduled to integrate the OTIO material into the screening room app instead of relying on Shotgrid cuts schema which is quite limiting?