Loading plugins on maya launch

Can anyone tell me how I would go about loading plugins on maya launch. I want to get the mayafbx plugin loading by default when a user launches maya. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, @jkiser,

Trying to find something useful to you while we are awaiting toolkit experts to get a hand on this. Check this out here:Maya - SG Developer and see if it helps you or not.

1 Like

Hi! One way to do this would be to add an engine_init hook to your configuration and add some code in there to check and load the plugin - just copy this hook into your config core hooks folder: https://github.com/shotgunsoftware/tk-core/blob/master/hooks/engine_init.py

Keep in mind that this will potentially be called multiple times, if the toolkit maya engine restarts.

2 Likes

What we are doing here is checking, and eventually load the maya plugins based on the pipeline step.
We used the hook of the workfiles “scene_operation_tk-maya” and every time the user create a file, depending on the context we load the relevant plugins.

1 Like

Hello all thank you so much for the help. Sorry it took so long to respond here. What I ended up doing was creating a maya setup tool that loads plugins sets scene units etc based on project configurations and I called that through the engine init hook.

2 Likes

I ran into a problem with the “loading plugins” logic which is in our case within the before_app_launch.py. I cannot find a proper way to find out which plugin has already been loaded into Maya.
This results in having multiple instances of the studio-library, which is very confusing.

Here’s a short version of how this is working at the moment:

module_path = ‘PATH_TO_STUDIO-LIB’
os.environ['MAYA_MODULE_PATH] = ‘;’.join(module_path)

My first idea was to find out if the studio-lib already exists in the MAYA_MODULE_PATH and to load it only when it does not:

module_paths = [path for path in os.environ.get(‘MAYA_MODULE_PATH’, ’ ‘).split(’;') if path]
if not module_path in module_paths:
. . . .os.environ['MAYA_MODULE_PATH] = ‘;’.join(module_path)

The only thing I found out doing this, was that the MAYA_MODULE_PATH is always empty when running the script, so this obviously doesn’t work. Does anyone know a way of finding out which Module already exists in Maya so it doesn’t get loaded multiple times?

thanks in advance :slight_smile:
Jonas

1 Like

I managed to find a workaround when I noticed, that all Modules get loaded into the .mel - Shelffiles inside prefs/shelves.

I read those files and search them for the Module I want to find. If it’s already inside one of the shelf files, I delete it from my MAYA_MODULE_PATH variable, so i doesn’t get loaded again.

Cheers Jonas

2 Likes

Hey there jonase,
You can check the loaded plugins with the command:

cmds.pluginInfo(q=True, listPlugins=True)

1 Like