Latency in sending webhook requests

Hi,

I’ve set up a webhook for my company instance to update the downstream task status. I’m using your code example(from siggraph 2019 tutorial) as the code base and AWS API Gateway and Lambda services to set up this webhook. However, sometimes there’s a long delay(more than 5 seconds) in updating the status. Even without the delay, the webhook takes about 3 seconds to reflect the update in the UI.
I checked the logs on the AWS services and the actions usually finishes in 300ms from start to finished. I’m wondering if there’s a way to monitor the process on the shotgun site(I’m using a cloud instance) so I know which part may be the cause or can you provide any insight as to why there’s a delay?

Thank you

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for participating in the Webhook beta program!

We are looking into sporadic delay issues (there will be a post about this later today) but aside from these, it is normal for the webhook to take a few seconds to trigger. It would not be normal to have to wait for 1 or more minutes for the trigger to happen.

Regards,
-Stéphane

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. Looking forward to the post.

1 Like

Link to @daigles’s post here for reference. :slight_smile:

I have also expressed my concerns about performance. Furthermore, I am pretty sure the issue is with the webhook service itself. We have a single lambda endpoint that brokers request from webhooks as well as actions. The actions appear to be much more performant since no service sits in the middle. I am just getting into AWS SQS and I am hoping that I can transition my single update webhook to batch updates via SQS and speed up the overall perceived performance of webhooks. I let you know how that goes.

1 Like