this is a bit of a wide ranging question but it’s the main thing that keeps coming up with people (and has been for the 10+ years I have been using SG):
What is th eplan with UX in general?
When the media page was introduced hopes were high that SG was going to get a much needed UX overhaul. Instead it’s been stagnating ever since, with discrepancies between the media page and the regular version/playlist pages causing a lot of frustration.
I had a meeting with an SG team about all things UX about two years ago. Back then I was told they are collecting feedback from clients to make SG more user friendly and streamlined - nothing has actually happened since.
Looking at the CRS and media player, both could do with some love. The fact that notes from teh CRS still don’t tell you the respective version name (and the fact that there is nothing you can do about it) has been bemoaned for a long time. Nothing happens and it feels like people have given up to point out the UX issues across SG.
Let’s not give up and pick uip Don’s old mantra that got us this far:
“it would be awesome if…”
It’d be awesome if…
- SG received a thorough UX pass to eliminate descrepancies on different pages showing the same data.
- ScreeningRoom and Media Player could be consolidated
- the CRS had more features and/or could be customised (e.g. to enable clients to bulk download quicktimes, attach files for the entire playlist such as reports, edls etc)
- generating and exporting reports would finally be a thing in SG (rather than relying on semi-functional pdf exports via the print menu)
- collaborative reviews with chat and live markers would be a thing (see Wipster, FrameIO, Loupe etc)
- live markers to accomany the screen grabs wcoudl be implemented (along with “jump to next annotation” etc)
- notification emails could be properly customised/designed
- the My Tasks page could be properly designed by the artist
- the Media page had a better deisng to avoid constantly switching between versions and playlists and switching filters
- widget fields like progressbars could be introduced to show upload progress, overall show/shot status etc.